Who says?...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

...you have to have a 7/8" blank to make a full size Statesman?

I pulled out a couple of Jason Swanson's "strip tease" blanks yesterday to make a matched set of Jr. Statesmen, one walnut and cherry, one cherry and walnut. I turned the blanks round 3/4" diameter and called it a night. Last night I dreamed they were "his-n-hers", and that I made "his" out of a full size Statesman, and hers a Jr Statesman.

I felt like a challenge today, so I spent the last 2 hours totally puckered, drilling the 3/4" cap blank to 37/64 ths. That leaves 11/128" thickness of the wall (6 and 1/2 64 ths), and 24 segments, 25 glue lines....:biggrin: Hopefully the drilling the other three holes will be more relaxing, and just think, it won't take too long to turn...

The 3 pictures show the drilled blank, the bushing and tube slid in, and my poor man's go-gauge in 3/4" Chrome Vanadium.

No more dreams for me.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_2532.jpg
    IMG_2532.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 147
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I suggest you douse liberally with thin CA as you begin turning---or an inside and outside coating of "white glue" and a day or so "drying time". (you will have to "drill" the hole again to clean it, if you do this)

Just as a precaution.

DozerMite

Banned
I've drilled with a 5/32" wall thickness in a scroll chuck and felt fairly comfortable.

You had an advantage... a collet. More even pressure.
Are your teeth flat now from the gritting? It was a bit nerve-racking the first time I tried it. I'm not sure if I could try 3/32".

ohiococonut

Nice job. That's like drilling a 9/16" hole in a 3/4" round acrylic blank on the drill press for a shotgun over/under cap. It's nerve racking to say the least. Water, lots of water :biggrin: Then you still have to turn it down until it's almost paper thin.

EarlD

Good job, and good luck with the next three. I'm a loooong way from attempting that.:redface:

Earl

Top Bottom