Who makes your favorite slimline kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

It seems that everyone sells a slimline type kit. Who makes your favorite slimline design kit?

I do not like the ones with black lines on the clips. That said, my favorite is the trimline from PSI ir its twin, the Berea streamline slimline. The PSI comfort oen is #2. I don't make any other slims.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
To be honest I don't see 10 cents worth of difference from one provider to another on slimline kits, you almost have to go looking for them to find bad ones.

Now there are a few different grades of slimline kits but many sellers carry more than one grade. The Fancy (ball clip) kits are generally a slightly lower grade but have the advantage of a multitude of plating finish options (at one time when I stocked slimline kits I carried 21 plating finishes.).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Try them.

If you have a good transmission, it "locks" in the extended position, so the refill won't creep back into the pen, as you write.

If you have a good "nib", it will not bend easily as you assemble the pen.

There is no way to know by looking, if you have crappy plating--but it will show up, over time. Best way to avoid it is to buy from resellers you trust.

Another potential problem: the fit between the upper tube and the transmission--again, this is more of a "hit and miss" problem and can be corrected, but it is a sign of less than careful quality control by the manufacturer.

Find the one you like--the pen you make reflects on YOU, and none of these kits are "pricey" if you buy in any quantity.

Oh, and my personal OPINION!!!: None of them write nearly as well as a Parker mech with a Schmidt 9000 refill, so I would avoid them all as much as possible. Having said that, I am "commissioned" to make one for my granddaughter and I certainly WILL. At age 10, she is not a discriminating buyer---we will fix that by the time she is in her teens!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

FWIW,
Ed

Last edited:

Sappheiros

I don't think there's quite one kit to fit all occasions and buyers and preferences. My most recent slimline was a platinum finished model that went quite nicely with a darker purple blank. I can't really pick a favorite. Different favorites for different instances! :)

Warren White

I like....

....the Craft Supply Apprentice Fancy Slimline. I give my pens away, and have purchased and finished many, many of these. They come in chrome, gold, and gun metal. Never had a failure with any of them. Nice size for most folks.

Top Bottom