Who makes a good slimline pencil kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocRon

I have gotten these from PSI, first the 0.5 mm leads, more recently the 0.7 leads. I seem to spend more time clearing jammed pieces of lead than I do writing. If you take the 0.5 size apart to clear it, you risk losing a little rubber washer that is part of the clutch mechanism and then the lead falls out. I have several of each on hand, but I am embarassed to sell or give any more away.
I thank you in advance for your observations, experiences and advice.
Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Russ beat me to it. My feelings exactly!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DocRon
<br />I have gotten these from PSI, first the 0.5 mm leads, more recently the 0.7 leads. I seem to spend more time clearing jammed pieces of lead than I do writing. If you take the 0.5 size apart to clear it, you risk losing a little rubber washer that is part of the clutch mechanism and then the lead falls out. I have several of each on hand, but I am embarassed to sell or give any more away.
I thank you in advance for your observations, experiences and advice.
Ron

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Step up a bit in size and use the Perfect Fit (http://arizonasilhouette.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1083). An excellent convertible (pen/pencil) at a good price.

mick

I've had good luck so far with the Fancy Slimlines from Woodturningz. They are PSI kits but seem to work ok. I'm not sure without comparing if they use the same pencil insert as the cheaper ones.

arioux

Hi,

I made dozens of confort grip pencils with no problem and they have the same mech as the slimline. One thing i did notice down the way is that you have to chage the leads and use good quality ones.

Alfred

jrc

I had the same problem, some worked some did not. I know it is not a slimline but a couple years I tried the convertable pen from Berea which also took a parker refill. I gave it to the local undertaker to test and he used it for a year or more and said it still works good.

I kinda agree with Russ.. I bought a bunch of pencil kits in the beginning.. was going to make the SL P&P sets... after about 10 pencils or so, just stopped making them.. don't like them and always felt they were less quality... I still have about 10 kits hanging on the wall...

DocRon

Thanks for all the comments. Russ - gave me a laugh! You just may be right! I am going to try to bookmark this thread so that I can refer back when I need to.

I have changed lead to the Pentel brand, recently bought some Staples band. Same problem - maybe I'm just a bit ham handed.[xx(]

Ron

DocStram

Is Russ ever wrong? Wish I would have asked before I went down the Pencil Road. This probably isn't what you have in mind, but I do like the Artist Sketch Pencil. It's durable and addictive to write with. Just make certain to mic those fittings and don't trust the bushings.

dennisww

I am fixing to order a lot of supplies and equipment to start turning. I was going to order several pencils as well, but after reading this I am hesitant. if the pencils from psi is no good I guess I should only do pens. right or wrong ?

leevis

Originally posted by dennisww
<br />if the pencils from psi is no good I guess I should only do pens. right or wrong ?
Not necessarily. I'd say give them a try and see if you like them or not. You might also want to try kits from other manufacturers too. You might like them even thought someone else may not. I've used slimline and European kits from Woodcraft and CSUSA and with the exception of Woodcraft's satin slimline pencils, I've been pleased with them.

toolcrazy

I purchased the starter kit from PSI. I contained 5 slimeline pencils and I haven't heard of any problems with them. It's probably like a lot of things. It depends on who uses it, when the kit was manufactured, what lead they put in and a 100 other variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom