Who has a good vice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Who has a good vise

I have been using a vise from woodcraft shown here.

vice.jpg

It served me fairly well but is not up to the standards I need now. It is sloppy & binds I guess I wore it out. I can't fit bottle stoppers in it.

So I desperately need a new one. Well I know someone is going to say get one of Paul's well I am on his list about a year now. I have been hanging on hoping he would get caught up.

But any way I need one real soon so what are the good vises out there.

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdemars

Funny You Ask . . .

I too am on the PHDesign List, # 48 as it stands . . . After much searching I have found a solution to the delima . . . A vise that I can use until Paul's shows up . . .

Simply make some wood or Corian jaws to attach to the existing jaw mounting pads. You could even elevate them a little and have a place for a sacrificial pad that would stay centered.

You will then have an ultra precision SELF-CENTERING VISE.

You could even make a bracket to mount it sideways if you liked . . .

If you are interested, I have some ideas and drawings of some jaws.

Mine is on order. They are currently back ordered until January 14th, 2009. If you need one sooner, simply buy the same vise with a built in swivel base from WILTON. This vise in manufactueared by SOBA & is a direct copy of the WILTON without the swivel feature. SOBA has also released this vice same vise in 1/2 this size which would be perfect for pen turners.

Maybe we could get the guy from Grizzly to import that one . . . .

P.S. I also have the nice one that Rockler sells . . .

Attachments

• grizzly self-centering vise.jpg
    grizzly self-centering vise.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I have been using a vice from woodcraft shown here.

View attachment 4507

It served me fairly well but is not up to the standards I need now. It is sloppy & binds I guess I wore it out. I can't fit bottle stoppers in it.

So I desperately need a new one. Well I know someone is going to say get one of Paul's well I am on his list about a year now. I have been hanging on hoping he would get caught up.

But any way I need one real soon so what are the good vices out there.

Thanks
Bruce

Drinking, gambling and chasing wild women come to mind! :biggrin:

fiferb

Bruce, I have a PH vise and now I don't need my old vise. I'd be happy to deliver it to you during Christmas week. Maybe we could work out a trade or something. I think it's a better one than what you pictured. If you want pictures I could send some tomorrow.

M

Mudder

Drinking, gambling and chasing wild women come to mind! :biggrin:

You can't hold your liquor, Your poker face is just silly and you wouldn't know what to do if you caught one so what are you really saying my friend? :eek:

sbell111

We use to have that woodcraft vise and hated it. We now use the other one that they sell and are satisfied.
70-120.jpg

The only downside is that it doesn't work with very fat pen blanks (or stopper blanks). Foir those, I use the cheapo HF model.

jkeithrussell

This is the one that I use too. It does pretty well. You just have to keep adjusting the width of the jaws which can be a bit of a hassle. Pretty solid vice though. A basic sled vice works ok for bottle stoppers.

We use to have that woodcraft vise and hated it. We now use the other one that they sell and are satisfied. The only downside is that it doesn't work with very fat pen blanks (or stopper blanks). Foir those, I use the cheapo HF model.

Top Bottom