White wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

UKpenmaker

Definitely Holly for me too, certainly the whitest wood I have ever come across, without going into the whole bleaching process.

Gentlemen Pen013.jpg

1080Wayne

Don`t assume that every piece of holly will be white . It can be spalted , be from a young tree or an old one , sapwood or heartwood , have been harvested at different times of the year , dried under different conditions , etc , etc , all of which can influence the colour of wood from any tree . Holly in particular frequently has a bluish tinge , possibly from being harvested while the sap was flowing .

All of the trees mentioned above can give you white wood , but the shades may vary about as much as the `whites`you will find in your local paint store . The whitest I have found came from a 4 year old chokecherry sapling .

leehljp

Member Liaison
Don`t assume that every piece of holly will be white . It can be spalted , be from a young tree or an old one , sapwood or heartwood , have been harvested at different times of the year , dried under different conditions , etc , etc , all of which can influence the colour of wood from any tree . Holly in particular frequently has a bluish tinge , possibly from being harvested while the sap was flowing .

I agree 100%. Simply getting some holly boards will not guarantee its whiteness. I usually ask questions if I am ordering holly, and view it in person if at a store. Improperly dried or spring/summer harvested holly will be white for a few weeks, then develop gray streaks due to the sap.

Still, in pens, I used lots of holly for real white wood.

76winger

I'm with the others on Holly. There may be whiter, but it's the whitest I've had pass my way so far. Usually white oak is tan by comparison. But like mentioned, time of harvesting and type of drying can be other factors to consider.

Top Bottom