White Madrepearlato?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Looks very similar to Italian Lucite, which I have turned some of ...

It was pretty chippy stuff, just like Kirinite, and finishes in much the same way. Glassy surface, very smooth and hard if you do it right ... (turn a bit short of your target size and sand the rest of the way). Don't forget to micro-mesh and polish for that spectacular mirror surface!

qquake

I've turned lots of Kirinite, and found it to be softer like acrylic acetate. Are you saying Madrepearlato is more like inlace acrylester?

Skie_M

I'm just saying that I would expect it to be somewhat chippy, similar to inlace acrylester. I'm not saying that it is for sure ...

I do know that the best acrylics I have turned, in my experience, were the lavabright silks from PSI... after I got them down to round, just ribbons everywhere.... :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm just saying that I would expect it to be somewhat chippy, similar to inlace acrylester. I'm not saying that it is for sure ...

I do know that the best acrylics I have turned, in my experience, were the lavabright silks from PSI... after I got them down to round, just ribbons everywhere.... :)

If I read this correctly you are saying you have not actually turned madreperlato. I think I am the only source of that material.

I have turned hundreds of pens from all colors of madreperlato. I would characterize it as slightly more dense than acrylic acetate, pearly appearance on two sides (180 degrees apart). Not anywhere NEAR inlace acrylester, which is a polyresin product.

I have NOT turned a lot of kirinite, maybe a half dozen pieces--I would say it is very similar to other Italian pen blanks, including madreperlato.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Skie_M

I have turned both Kirinite and Italian Lucite ... I would have to say that they are pretty much identical. :)

If this Italian Mother of Pearl (if I'm reading it correctly, that's what it means) is similar to Lucite, then yes ... it's a little chippy.

Sharp tools, rub that bevel, WEAR FACE PROTECTION, and I would say turn at very high speeds so that your tool takes tiny bites... :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lucite is indeed more "chippy" than acrylic acetate, which is similar to kirinite. You are entitled to your opinion--I would differ with your conclusion.

Kirinite, IMO!!!! is similar to acrylic acetate, as is madreperlato. (Yes, mother of pearl) I would not characterize either of them as being like lucite.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks, I forgot about the picture request. I made this for a friend's wedding.

Attachments

• DSC01074.jpg
    DSC01074.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC01078.jpg
    DSC01078.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC01068.jpg
    DSC01068.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 173

socdad

I have turned several (a dozen or so ...) pens using Madrepearllato with out any problems ... powder coated the tubs and reverse painted the blank.

Skie_M

As you turn the finished pen, you'll see a very opalescent layer pop up and reflect at you, and then again on the opposite side .... in between, you'll see a wavy streamer of the reflective material running through the blank. The barrels are fairly translucent, so back-painting in an appropriate color will be the order of the day, or you could opt to use chromed pen barrel tubes (leave them polished?).

(holding a rod of White Pearl Italian Lucite as I describe it ... one of my pen blank "samples")

mrburls

I've turned a lot of Madreperlato blanks and sold a lot here on IAP
I've never found them to be chippy at all. I thought they turned very easily.
Keith "mrburls"

Top Bottom