white acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chips ahoy

Mornin Folks

I am making a pen from white acrylic for a customer.Anyone know if the brass tubes will show through the acrylic?If so,what is a good fix.Thanks for your time and have a great day.:)

Mel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

It depends on the acrylic, but the tubes will most likely show through. If you want it to stay white, I would recommend painting the inside of the hole with white paint, 2 coats usully works, before you glue in the tubes. Be sure the tubes fit well in the hole once it's been painted, or you might scratch off some of the paint when you glue the tubes in (DAMIHKT). For some added interest, I sometimes paint the first coat with an irridescent or glittery nail polish, then follow up with a more opaque paint.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
YES, the brass will show through almost ALL whites.

I import the best white available, but, next to the nib, you will still see the tube if you look hard. So, I paint them.

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

DaveM

I paint all of my white ones too. I make a lot of these, and use whites from several different makers. Most of them show through. I use a spray can white automotive primer, as I can get an opaque coat with less buildup than nail polish or enamel. I also dab a bit inside the blank with a Q-tip, if I have enough clearance. Otherwise, I put some white enamel in my epoxy. Even with the tube painted, the white will show any flaws in your glue joint!

Ed, what white do you import? Is it a solid white? I have used Starlight, CSUSA's marble, and some of the new woodcraft whites. They are all a little different looking, but I like to offer choices. I sell a dozen or more white pens a month, so it is a major part of my market.

Dave

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dave,
PM sent to keep from hi-jacking thread.

Short answer, I have a very stunning white pearl.
Also have alternative Ivory - but its not really white.

chips ahoy

Thanks all for the info.I just checked Craft supply catalogue and the blank I ordered is called white marble and is celluloid,not sure if that is the same as acrylic,but I will paint the insides of the blanks to be sure.Have a great one.

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom