Whisky Barrel pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello All

I have been asked to make some pens from an old oak whisky barrel.
I dont think I will have any problems making the pens but I intend to finish using sander sealer and wax.

Are there any members who have used old whisky barrels and could pass on their wisdom before I make any potential mistakes.

Sean

www.aberfanturning.co.uk

Pioneerpens

jimm1 does the Jack Daniels blanks. I'm sure he would have some insight. I'm waiting on mine to arrive, so I havent' turned any myself Yet!.

KenBrasier

I turned a batch of the Jack Daniels blanks I got from (jimm1). They are white oak blanks and other than the whiskey smell (nice) they turned well. I finished some with friction polish and others with CA. They looked great and sold well at out last show. I delibertly turned mine so that some on the charred wood remained, otherwise you wouldn't know they came from whiskey barrels except for the Certificates of Authenticity that jimm1 provides.

broitblat

I've not done whiskey barrels, but I have done wine barrels. You should know that the oak is fairly open grained. Nothing wrong with that, but I've found it tends to suck up the CA, if I use that for a finish, and requires a lot more coats.

-Barry

Top Bottom