WhichTools Do I Need For Penturning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodnPecker

Hello to everyone!
If you haven't seen my other post yet, I am new to IAP and to penturning. I was wondering if I could get some advice and personal recommendations as to which are the BEST tools I can get for penturning. As a former carpenter, present woodworker and hopefully future penturner, I am a firm believer in buying the "VERY BEST" tools you can afford. I found out early on that the cheap tools cost MUCH more in the long run than do the expensive or better quality tools.

Being totally new to penturning I have no idea which tools are the best for the job. I bought a set of Hamlet M2 tools for my regular turning when I first bought my lathe and they are OK but for my penturning I would really like to get the best tools I can afford. I was wondering if you would give me your advice as to which tools I need for penturning (EXAMPLE: 3/8" spindle gouge or 1/2" round nose skew chisel, etc.) and which set or individual names of tools (example: RICHARD RAFFAN 1/2 INCH M2 SKEW CHISEL or HENRY TAYLOR 3/8 INCH SPINDLE GOUGE).

Thanks in advance for all of your advice and help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Hopefully you'll get a better answer from others here but I don't use really fancy tools for my penturning. I have a couple of Harbor Freight sets (1 carbon and 1 high speed steel) and a HSS mini-set I got on sale somewhere.

I find that the key is not necessarily the quality of the tool but the sharpness of the tool. Any tool you can keep sharp and that you feel confident in using will make excellent pens.

Good luck!

jrc

After almost 3 years of pen making I only use a 1/2" spindle gouge and I does pay to buy the best. Just over $60.00 I can turn many many pens without resharpening. Woodturners catalog has some of the BEST

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by jrc
<br />After almost 3 years of pen making I only use a 1/2" spindle gouge and I does pay to buy the best. Just over $60.00 I can turn many many pens without resharpening. Woodturners catalog has some of the BEST

I agree. I've been turning pens for about 6 years and other than a parting tool for center bands, I use a 1/2" gouge almost exclusively. Sometimes I use a 3/4" gouge for some roughing, but rarely. HTH

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
My best suggestion is to call Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silhouette ( www.arizonasilhouette.com ), Sheila Crosby at Pens of Color ( www.pocwoodworking.com ) or Fritz at Woodturningz ( www.woodturningz.com ). All three of these suppliers deal almost exclusively with pens and other small turnings. The big boys (Craft Supplies USA, Penn State Industries, Woodcraft, Berea Hardwood) deal in a much larger variety of wood working materials and supplies. They are very good, reputable companies, but I find that a new turner can use a little more personal hand-holding early on.

Also, both Bill Baumbeck and Russ Fairfield have excellent videos on penturning. These are well worth the money for a beginner. Russ's video is available at http://woodturnerruss.com/Video.html .

woodscavenger

A sharp skew, a thin parting tool, a gouge (most use a roughing gouge but I love my Sorby fingernail bowl gouge). I have a mini-set from PSI that I got onsale for ~$20 (5 tools--round nose scraper, small and smaller gouges, skew, and parting tool). These are HSS and are great. I also have a set of larger HSS tools but I only use the sorby gouge and a larger skew. Get a good drill press with deep enough throw to drill a pen blank. A good vise can let you accurately drill fairly large holes in some of the smaller, more expensive blanks.

JimGo

I'll second Lou's recommendation on Bill Baumbeck's video. I sat down to watch it last week, expecting something like Penn State Industries' video, which was about 1/2 hour. Instead, Bill's is almost 2 hours long, and goes into a lot of detail about how he makes pens. Although I use a Skew when making my pens, and Bill says Skews aren't anything more than glorified paperweights, I still got a lot out of his video. It's well worth the $20 or so that it cost.

I also second the suggestion to both call Bill, Sheila, or Fritz, AND to stop in Woodcraft. WC's prices are a little higher, but you get the benefits of instant gratification, and you don't have to pay shipping. The people at our local WC are VERY friendly, and have spent a LOT of time with me explaining various tools and techniques. Plus, they have a library of videos and books that you can watch in their store if you feel that you need to work on your technique (sounds like that may not be a problem for you).

I might suggest an alternative approach to your tool quest, too. What I did, and what a lot of the people here have done, is to buy an inexpensive set of High Speed Steel tools from a place like Harbor Freight (they have a nice set, in a box to keep them (and you) safe, for around $30) or eBay. Then, as you decide which tools work best for your particular style, you can invest in the better tools. I like this approach because it means I'll have the other tools (like the 1/4" bowl gouge) when I need them, and have the good tools for my "everyday" work ("everyday" is more like once a month, but that's another story...).

Just my two cents (which may be an overestimate of how much my opinion is worth!).

jdavis

I have my students use a 1/2" gouge. I use the gouge and a skew. Woodturners catalog has a good selection. We use a good quality, but the key is a sharp tool.

vick

I have had excellent luck with all of the Robert sorby tools that I have. I have a few other but his are almost always my favorite. At minimun I would recomend a parting tool and a gouge 1/2 or 3/4 inch, and maybel a nice 3/4 inch skew. I would recomend for a skew you get an oval skew so it will not dig into your tool rest.

wpenm

Bryant, Like you I was a carpenter and spent good money on the very best tools I could find. Having the best tools ment doing the highest quality work.They sharpen better and stay sharp longer. I use Sorby turning tools and like them very well. I would get a cheap set to start off. That way you can practice sharpening the various tools. Good luck and have fun.

wayneis

As you stated, you have already been turning so you may already have the tools needed. I can understand and agree with your thinking. I recently upgraded to Crown Pro-PM tools and for pens what I use almost exclusively is a 1/2" spindle gouge. The Pro-PM was a very good investment as far as I am concerned, they take a very good edge and hold it. I started with the Harbor Freight tool set and to begin it was a pretty good set of tools but the difference between these tools is incredable. If you go to the Craft Supply USA web site they an excellent veriety to choose from. The next most important investment is a good system to sharpen your tools and in my opinion Wolverine has the best. After I get the edge that I want on the Wolverine I then hone the tool on a honing wheel that I bought from Grizzely that puts a razor edge on it. In fact most of the time all I do is the honing and only use the Wolverine about every 5th or 6th time that I sharoen.

Wayne

WoodnPecker

<u><b>WOW!!!</b></u> What an <b><u>AWESOME</u></b> forum!!! I first have to say I have been a member of several forums from woodworking to photography to aquariums and I have NEVER seen one with as much support and participation as this forum has. I feel so lucky I found you folks.

OK, I will try to respond and answer and much as I can.

First, I live in a VERY rural area of West, TN and the closet woodworking store to me which I know of is 3 hours away so I pretty much have to mail order everything. I am so envious of you who have suppliers and clubs in your area. I very rarely get to go to the one in Memphis due to some health problems which keep me from driving that far. I have been to the one in Memphis a few time but my wife is deployed overseas right now with the Army so I don't get to go while she is gone. I was VERY lucky to have ran across Pens of Color on eBay and actually just got all of my penturning supplies from Shelia. I must put in a word for her here, she gave me some of the best customer service I have ever had anywhere and also told me about this site so I owe her a lot. I would definitely like to find a copy of the Bill Baumbeck or Russ Fairfield video which was mentioned because I am a visual learner. I hate to sit down and read and even when I do, I don't remember what I just read. I too was also kind of disappointed with the video I order from PSI but I guess it helped some.

I actually turned and assembled my first pen this morning while I was waiting for my son to wake up for school. I will try to post some pictures this evening but when I tried to make pictures earlier my camera battery was dead so I am charging it now. I will warn you now, it is not much but it is my first. I should have used better wood but I was afraid to start with a nice piece. I actually just picked up a piece of cut-off from some of the scraps of red oak flooring we just put down so it is not too pretty but it actually turned out better than I had expected and again, I now have my first pen turned. I must say I can't wait to build my second one. My son was still sick today and couldn't go to school so I guess number 2 will have to wait either until he goes to bed tonight or to school tomorrow. I can see where this could get VERY addictive.

Someone had mentioned my work space and current tools. Well, I have one whole corner of my shop dedicated to my lathe. I have a Mini-Max T124 lathe and have several feet all around the lathe dedicated just for lathe work. As for my current tools, here is a list and after experimenting this morning, I really think I already have what I need for now.

First, I have a 3 piece set of small tools I got with some other things on eBay. They say HSS on them and I guess they are but they are not much. They are probably like a set you would get from Harbor Freight. I used them this morning and they did a pretty good job but they don't feel real sharp nor do they feel like they will hold a very good edge for very long. The set includes:
5/16" Bowl Gouge
1/2" Flat Skew
1/16" Parting tool

My regular tools are from Hamlet and they are M2 Steele, they include:
3/4" Roughing Gouge
3/8" Bowl Gouge
3/8" Spindle Gouge
3/4" Rolled Skew
1" Radius Scraper
3/16" Diamond Parting Tool

This morning I used the 5/16" Bowl Gouge and that all. I think my Hamlet 3/8" Bowl or Spindle gouge should work really well and it looks and sound like maybe I just need a smaller skew. I don't really like the flat skew in the cheap set because not only is it flat it is also straight and I would prefer one with a radius or oval. I didn't even use one this morning but I think I would have had a nicer finish and less sanding if I would have had one to use.

I also think I am goinf to need to get me a shorter tool rest. The one I have is so long I cannot get it close to the pen because it is longer than the set-up so I have to keep it out and away from the end of the mandrel on the headstock end and away from the bearing on my live center on the tailstock end. I hope I described this where it is understandable but I would like a tool rest just about as wide as my pen assembly is so I can get it in closer to my work.

I also DEFINITELY have to get a good sharpening system when the money is available. Money is kind of tight right now thanks to the Army deploying my wife. This cut my wife's income by 51% from her civilian pay so I am just trying to keep the bills paid right now. Hopefully, I can save for a sharpening system in a few months because where I live makes it very difficult to take my tools in to get them sharpened.

Well, I hope I kind of responded to everyone and listed the information you all asked for. I really, really appreciate everyone of your replies, advice and information.

Thanks again so much and let me know if you think my tools are OK and if you think another skew chisel would be helpful.

Take care All!

tipusnr

Not having seen your skew chisel - I won't attempt to comment on it's quality but many a flat skew can be made friendlier by taking a bastard file and easing (rounding) the edges of the flat, unsharpened stock so that it will slide slightly on the tool rest.

And, while not the best, any file or sharpening stone that you use for your other cutting tools can be used on your skews with a little patience and practice.

Good luck!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Russ had a recent post on WC about NOT using a file for turning tools.
For sharpening, a disc belt sander is great.
More grits available, flat surface, cheap if you already have one.
I appreciate the sacrifice you, your wife, and your family are making.
Thanks.

JimGo

Bryant,
I want to second Eagle's comments...I too appreciate the sacrifice you, your wife, and family are making. Please tell you wife our thoughts and prayers are with her!

Have you seen the Freedom Pen project? If not, you'll find a link on the main PenTurners.org page. I plan on making some pens for that project in a few weeks (moving my home soon), and I know many of our regular contributors also participate(d) in the project. I don't want to speak for others, but for me, I know its a small gesture, but I'm not sure how else to show my appreciation. Plus, if money is tight, there are programs for getting free or nearly free wood and kits, which makes it a great way to further refine your skills.

Thank you again!

WoodnPecker

First, I would like to thank you for your support. It has been a difficult 2 months and will be even more difficult over the next 16-22 months. My wife is making the most sacrifice but I am really worried about our 4 year old son. He is doing really well considering but he doesn't really understand why his Mommy can't come home. He also has no concept of time so he definitely doesn't understand how long it will be before he gets to see his mother again. It really does help to know there are people out there like you folks who support my family and all the other soldier's and their families because it is a very difficult time for all of us. I think it is more of a sacrifice than most people ever realize until they are there, more than I ever realized, but my wife and I both agree it is worth the sacrifice to have and to keep the freedoms which we are all so fortunate to have. It makes me sick to my stomach to hear what some folks say and I think if they could spend a little time on the "front lines" or in a country without the freedoms they have in the good ole' USA, they would probably change their minds and their attitudes. I think they would also appreciate what they have. THANKS AGAIN!

I have not seen the Freedom Pen Project yet but will definitely check it out. My next couple of pens are actually going to be for my wife for our anniverary which is coming up in April. I ordered a couple of the special "Medical clips" for the slimline pens and I am going to turn her a pen and pencil to send her. She is a nurse as a civilian and also a Forward Surgical Nurse/Air Evac Medic in the Army so I think she will like them. I am trying to save the money now for some really nice blanks to make them from. I have seen some of the beautiful Olive wood from the Holy Land which I really like and they seem very special and also saw some really beautiful Super Red Box Elder blanks which were very awesome but they are both so expensive. Anyway. I will make them form something and again, I really appreciate everyone's support.

Well, as I said earlier I turned my first pen this morning. I am almost ashamed to post it after seeing all of the other beautiful pens which you folks have done but maybe my next few will be better. I should have used a better wood but I didn't want to experiment on a good piece so I picked this piece up from the shop floor. As I said, I actually think it is a cut-off from the red oak flooring we put down before my wife left so there is definitely not any figure nor any pretty grain in the pen but I think my shape turned out OK. I left a little more girth on the lower blank to have more to hold on to. The Slimlines are so small anyway and it is hard for me to hold a real small pen but I figured they would be the best to learn on. I actually turned, finished and assembled it this morning while I was waiting for my son to wake up so I kind of rushed it. Oh well, now that I have number 1 done, I can practice with some better wood. My pictures really suck as I should have changed lenses on my camera but I was in a hurry. Well, here it is, <u><b>My First Pen!!!</b></u>
<u><b>Now, I am REALLY addicted!</b></u> [:D]

88499435.jpg
88499430.jpg

Well, thanks a lot and hopefully I will be posting some prettier pens in the near future.

Take Care!

JimGo

Bryant,
Congratulations! The shape looks great, and you matched the sizes of the bushings/kit parts very well, especially for a first try. Looks like the bottom half got a little better finish than the top (although that may be the lighting). If that's the case I've had it happen on a few pens. I'm not sure what causes that on mine, except maybe changing climate conditions (I'm usually putting finish on my pens outside, as the sun is going down, which in Jan/Feb in VA, means it gets cold FAST). Given when you did your pen, that may have also happened to you.

I've been amassing quite a collection of pen blanks over the last few months, typically ordering more than I need simply because something strikes my fancy. I only have one Olive blank, which my wife has already laid claim to, but I do have some others that I'd be willing to share. Feel free to E-mail me via the forum and I'll let you whether I have any of the other woods you're looking for (just send me a list).

Actually, maybe you can help me. I've purchased several Purpleheart blanks that I want to make into pens to give to recent Purple Heart recipients, as my sort of thank-you. Given your wife's position, she may be able to distribute them appropriately; would you mind working out some kind of deal? If so, again, please drop me an E-mail.

WoodnPecker

Hi Jim,
Thanks very much for the compliments. I am really pleased with the shape and the way it feels in my hand when I am writing. As for the finish, I think it is where my flash was bouncing off of the clip or something because in real life it doesn't look that way at all. It actually looks pretty consistant and is also the same color. I need to try to make some without the flash to see if they turn out a little better.

I will send my wife an email to see if she knows or can find out who presents the medals or who is receiving Purple Heart medals and if she is able to get the pens to them where they can give them the pen when they receive their medals. It may take a few days to hear back from her but I will let you know when I find out something.

I also REALLY appreciate your offer on the pen blanks and I will definitely keep you in mind.

Thanks again and Take Care!

adirondyke

Hi Bryant,

Without a doubt, turning a pen with sharp tools goes much better than with dull or dulling ones. Coming to understand that greatly improved the quality of my pen turning.

Also, a center drilling vise greatly improved my production time and success rate for prepping pen blanks for turning. Anymore I can't even imagine making pens without one!

Good luck with your pen turning and we all hope that your wife returns home safely as soon as her tour of duty is completed!

Marilyn
Ocean Park, WA

JimGo

I think Bryant chose it to be when he created the thread; there's that size dialog box at the top. The default is something like 800x600, but you can change it to whatever strikes your fancy (sort of...have to stick to those settings in the list).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom