Where is the WOW???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Well John, it's been a while since I saw a Wow either...:redface:
....but I found this one that actually had about 8 'Wow's' :biggrin: but unlike your wonderful Panache, which has 50 ish 'Likes', mine had absolutely none...:redface:

Steve - your pen was posted before the like button was added - you didn't get any "likes" but that pen sure did impress a whole lot of people (like every pen I remember you posting here). Over 100 posts proclaiming their admiration for one true WOW pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
....but I found this one that actually had about 8 'Wow's' :biggrin: but unlike your wonderful Panache, which has 50 ish 'Likes', mine had absolutely none...:redface:

Steve - your pen was posted before the like button was added - you didn't get any "likes" but that pen sure did impress a whole lot of people (like every pen I remember you posting here). Over 100 posts proclaiming their admiration for one true WOW pen.

LOL, I knew that Steve, I was just pulling John's leg:wink:

Carl Fisher

But as it's been a few years since that pen of mine, I figured it would be ok to show newer members that you don't need expensive tools to make a neat pen.

How much longer do you think it will take for you to get back in the shop?
Why don't you start by doing an in-depth tutorial with loads of pics and dimensions of your set up where you made the router jig to make that pen?
I've shown my set-up loads of times but not everyone has a metal lathe or the capacity to make up metal accessories to hold power tools, like I'm lucky to have.

Ok, that pen doesn't get a wow...that one gets a OMG I WANT THAT!

I think that some of the WOW pens also tend to get "drowned" out. Because of the influx of new users there is a rapid amount of posting and posts stay on the recent threads for a smaller amount of time. Unless one goes through the actual topic page, posts are not going to be seen very much.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Steve, thanks for sharing that link. Amazing! I wanted to ask if you actually did that by hand... read the comments and found out. My impression went up very quickly!

dansills

Instagram and Facebook get uploaded directly from my phone as I do work in progress pictures. To that end, it takes me 30 seconds to take a picture and post it to both feeds. It's a little more complicated to email myself the photo or upload it to my google drive and then come to a computer, pull it, get to the site, start a new post, add the attachments, etc...

So honestly, yes it does take more time to do so.

Now if I'm doing an actual photo shoot on the camera and taking time to do post processing and such, then sure I'll upload them here as well but that doesn't happen much lately.

++1

SDB777

Some folks might not want to show off a WOW pen(s), in fear of everyone jumping in a copying the WOW...

Never use to see 'steampunk' being offered by the Chinese kit makers, none those are a dime a dozen...devaluing the original designs.

Scott (JMHO) B

jttheclockman

John, you asked and ye shall receive:biggrin::biggrin:
WOW!
Thanks JT

CopyofIMGP0937-1.jpg

OK I have a few replys that I need to reply to:)

Thanks Roy for posting. Skiprat brought this one up also in another thread and yes that was a couple years ago. Thanks for the accolades.

But as it's been a few years since that pen of mine, I figured it would be ok to show newer members that you don't need expensive tools to make a neat pen.

How much longer do you think it will take for you to get back in the shop?
Why don't you start by doing an in-depth tutorial with loads of pics and dimensions of your set up where you made the router jig to make that pen?
I've shown my set-up loads of times but not everyone has a metal lathe or the capacity to make up metal accessories to hold power tools, like I'm lucky to have.

Hello again Skipster.

As far as my use of the router on this pen and others that I have done I was asked about a tutorial by a few people. I am not good at those but if you recall I did do somewhat of a tutorial in the Segmenting forum which for all is a very interesting forum and if you are serious about segmenting you should check it out. I was happy to be instrumental in getting that started and getting the approval of Jeff. The so-called tutorial is called "My Jig" There was actually one person who followed through with making it and producing a couple very nice pens. Not sure what happened to him because i do not see him on the site.

Now Skip you are showing off and i love it. The pen you shown is just a tip of the iceberg as they say.

I want all to see what WOW pens really look like. If this does not get you excited when you look through this album then you need to check your pulse. Skip your work stands alone and yes every pen you show gets rave reviews and tons of them. There were a few people that came through here that commanded that attention. You are probably the last one left so do not leave us.

Folks sit back and enjoy the show and marvel at a true master. Oh by the way The Trade Center pens are my favs.

Skiprat Pens - Home Page

Some folks might not want to show off a WOW pen(s), in fear of everyone jumping in a copying the WOW...

Never use to see 'steampunk' being offered by the Chinese kit makers, none those are a dime a dozen...devaluing the original designs.

Scott (JMHO) B

Hello Scott

I have brought this up once before in another thread somewhere. I can not believe that the so-called Steampunk or watch-part pen has not been copied and mass produced. I also brought up the fact that there are a ton of ideas that can be incorporated into that design to enhance it and change the look. I am surprised no one has done them. When I do get back into making pens I plan on showing what can be done with those and hopefully others will expand on it.

PenPal

John cast your eyes down one from your entry the White Shadow IS a WOW the last one you referred to the PITH pen you treated as open slather with your suggestions not simply implying how really good and wow making it is. Why bother to impress the unimpressible.

Peter.

jttheclockman

John cast your eyes down one from your entry the White Shadow IS a WOW the last one you referred to the PITH pen you treated as open slather with your suggestions not simply implying how really good and wow making it is. Why bother to impress the unimpressible.

Peter.

Peter

Not sure where you are going with this statement. First off I was replying to the poster that directed a question at me. I am sure there will be many fine pens within that Pith. I started this topic as a conversation piece and it has been pointed out by many here that WOW is in the eyes of the beholder which I am totally on board with.

Lucky2

John, I would like to know why it it that with every question you ask, you have to put either a double or triple question mark after each question? It is very annoying to read your statements because of this, mostly now I pass on you comments partly because of this habit. One question mark does the same thing as many do, and many don't make your question any more important. Please consider asking like most people do, one question mark is all they use. This may seem petty to you, but to me, like I posted it's very annoying.
Len

robutacion

Hi folks,

I haven't read all the post but I'm responding to the OP so, if someone has already touched the subject, I apologise in advance.

There may be more than one reason, and one that comes to mind, is the known fact that, if you make a signature piece or you made a pen that you don't want to be copied, over and over, you just don't show it here or any other Web forum.

There is common knowledge and this has been discussed to death that, there is a lot of talent and brains, among IAP members however, not everyone have that creative edge to come up with something new but, seeing something that captures their attention, is all its needed for some of them to get working and endup with something based on someone else's idea that, is many cases, is even better made than the original, after all, creativity and workmanship/craftsmanship/golden hands, are two very different issues/realities..!

So, where am I going with this...??? I'm providing my opinion on the question asked by the OP...!:wink::biggrin:

So, I intend no offence to anyone, that can be in any of the categories I mention above...!

Cheers
George

jttheclockman

John, I would like to know why it it that with every question you ask, you have to put either a double or triple question mark after each question? It is very annoying to read your statements because of this, mostly now I pass on you comments partly because of this habit. One question mark does the same thing as many do, and many don't make your question any more important. Please consider asking like most people do, one question mark is all they use. This may seem petty to you, but to me, like I posted it's very annoying.
Len

Len

I am sorry if that is annoying. It is just a habit:) Nothing is meant by it. Sometimes when people post threads and there is a question in there it gets lost and that is something I have been doing for years. If it bothers you then please by all means just put me on your ignore list!!!!!!!:) Man there is so many more important things wrong in the world than things like that. I hate when people tex message and use all those abbreviations but i am not going to commit suicide over it. Have a great day:):):)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Len

Len

I am sorry if that is annoying. It is just a habit:) Nothing is meant by it. Sometimes when people post threads and there is a question in there it gets lost and that is something I have been doing for years. If it bothers you then please by all means just put me on your ignore list!!!!!!!:) Man there is so many more important things wrong in the world than things like that. I hate when people tex message and use all those abbreviations but i am not going to commit suicide over it. Have a great day:):):)
I solved that problem --- I don't accept text messages on my phone and if one comes in on my computer I delete it without reading it.
I refuse to learn a foreign language at my age.

robutacion

Len

Hi Len,

Interestingly and admittingly, I have also that "habit" and, I never had anyone make any remarks in that regard. Being guilty of such habit, I'm not aware if that means anything in the "symbols world", such as writing in capitals, means shouting, in the Internet language so, I would be most interested in know if that has any significance or not, appart from being "annoying" to you and possibly, other people, and that is precisely the reason why I'm using the opportunity to learn something new...!

In my case however, I have a meaning for multiple question marks and, believe it or not, I believed until now that, multiple question marks at the end of a sentence, to actually say something...!

So, what does that mean/say to me...?

The higher the interest, expectation of the question, the more question symbols are use. For example, if I have a simple question but, in a scale of 1 to 10, signifies a 2, I would use one symbol (?), if the question is based upon something that has great significance to me, and a 10 out of 10, I tend to use 3 symbols (???)

This has been some how "confirmed" but responses from other people that, consider the number of question marks, the significance/importance of the question.

By all means, I'm saying that, this is correct and acceptable in the English language structure, from where I come from (Portugal) and since I was a little kid, I saw these multiple symbols at the end of a sentence/question.

I can also say that, I do not recall if at school, I was ever corrected and if this was allowed or not in the classroom, home -work, etc., but I wouldn't be surprised if I was...!

I'm still learning so, if this is a big thing to some people, I would like to know...!

Please, don't fill this thread with any replies to my observation, if you would like, PM me instead and keep this thread, clean(ish)...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: I'm referring to any writing I make in forums, etc., I do not "text" messages, nor I read any of them, regardless. I don't even own a mobile phone..! Hold on, I'm lying, I have a tablet that come with a 1GB of data, and I can make calls and send SMS's but, I don't use it for that so, any messages/sms's, go straight to the bin unopened/unread...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

jttheclockman

George don't worry about it. Together we will start a new trend. Seems like one pops up everyday. You can't even play scrabble these days with all the new words they keep adding. Maybe i will start using these :question::question::question: Does that help:)

Russ Hewitt

I suppose that everyone has their own definitions of WOW. I am just getting started at this, but I have already decided that I do not particularly like segmented pens as a group or many of the pens made with unique materials. For me, a WOW pen is one where the wood or acrylic exhibits a natural beauty. Many of the segmented pens are extremely difficult to make and are very complex, but that does not necessarily mean they are naturally beautiful. Unique an/or difficult do not automatically make something beautiful. I have seen segmented pens that I do like, but they typically have naturally beautiful materials. The materials are what I found appealing, not necessarily the segmenting. But then, that is why they have chocolate and vanilla and Ford and Chevrolet.

Top Bottom