Where to shop for kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCR0LL3R

I am just getting started and I've bought some slimline kits from Penn State and Sierra, Carbara and Cigar pens from William Wood-Write. So far I have mostly only bought the 24k gold kits. I do want to move up in quality but what to know what I am getting before spending on the pricier kits. I want to have confidence in the quality of the kits I am working with and was wondering what people think of the kits from William Wood-Write.

What are some online stores that you would recommend for good prices on high quality kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

My first stop is ExoticBlanks.com

They are active members on the forums here, have good prices, and excellent customer service.

bensoelberg

As far as moving up in quality, chrome plating is much more durable than the 24K gold and is not much more expensive (on most slimline kits, it is the same price.) The list of vendors is definitely a good place to go. When you are starting out, I recommend looking at places that sell more than one thing; blanks, kits, tools, refills, etc in order to save on shipping. Familiarize yourself with the other vendors though, because although they may only sell one thing, it is probably the highest quality and best value that you'll find so you'll know where to go when you know what direction your penmaking is headed.

Russianwolf

I am just getting started and I've bought some slimline kits from Penn State and Sierra, Carbara and Cigar pens from William Wood-Write. So far I have mostly only bought the 24k gold kits. I do want to move up in quality but what to know what I am getting before spending on the pricier kits. I want to have confidence in the quality of the kits I am working with and was wondering what people think of the kits from William Wood-Write. Good vendor, sells Berea stuff which is good quality.

What are some online stores that you would recommend for good prices on high quality kits?

As mentioned, switch to Chrome which will increase the durability of your pens for little to no increase in cost compared to the gold platings. The only good gold is Gold Titanium, and you do pay a premium for those.

Also check out LauLauwoods.com for some of the nicer plating offering, more expensive but you get what you pay for. and Timberbits.com out of Australia too. Exoticblanks.com is a great source for unusual blanks and they sell Berea kits also so you can stock up all in one shop.

bitshird

I agree with bensolelberg consider the plating's, that makes a far more durable kit. Chrome the either Rhodium/Platinum, and Titanium. will far out last 24 kt gold.

Tanner

I have the Exoticblanks.com site running in the background 24 hours a day. Stunning blanks, awesome kits and accessories as well as very fast service. They're a long ways from Arizona and you would think they were across the street my order comes so fast.

SCR0LL3R

Thanks for all the quick replies! I'm glad I can buy good quality kits on this side of the border... It makes it much more cost effective for me to make smaller orders

Since most of my kits are Berea, I was wondering do you guys find that the refill supplied with the kits are good? I know a lot of people buy higher quality refills and was wondering how the Bereas compare. Also what do you consider to be high quality refills?

toddlajoie

Where to shop is covered pretty well, here's another suggestion:

I made the mistake early on in going with the El-Grande/Churchill/etc kits when I started looking for something beyond the slims and sierras/WallSt/etc, and looking back I consider it a bad kit for beginners for a couple of reasons: some instructions have a cap drill that is JUST BARELY large enough for the tube, let alone room for glue or paint if using acrylics, and the ending thickness left of the wood can best be measured in "thicknesses of paper"... Wait till you have some more comfort with the processes and such before you look into these kits.

Also, after you get tired of slims, go off and try some others, after a while go back an do some more slims, you'll be amazed at how fun they can be once you have some creativity to play off of...

zig613

I am working with and was wondering what people think of the kits from William Wood-Write.

I have purchased a number of kits from Bill at William Wood-Write. I believe the majority of the kits that they sell are made by Berea or Dayacom. Both are good quality and the service is excellent. I prefer the titanium gold plating due to its better wear vs. the 24 kt gold.

CSUSA has some excellent kits (the Artisan line of pens) in a variety of quality plating. Also, as noted in other replies try Exotics they handle Berea kits.

Wade

Top Bottom