Where to make a free web page for my pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

panamint

I just started turning in Nov 2011 and have made some pens for Christmas gifts for friends and family. Now I have people that want to buy my pens and I was wondering if there is a free place to set up some kind of web page to put pictures and prices for my pens. I am just starting out with this and don't plan to sell to many, I am disabled and can only stand at the lathe a few hours at a time on my good days. I am doing turning just for some thing to help pass the time and just looking to sell enough to buy materials and buy new tools. So far I just have them in a picture folder on my Facebook page that you have to click on my photos first then click on the pen folder (Scott Kuykendall | Facebook) and I was looking for something a little easier for people to look at. If you take a look at the pens I have made, let me know any commit or suggestion you might have. I am planning to start turning different pens after I sell a few more of the ones I have made.
Thanks Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I'd suggest a Fan/Business page on Facebook. It could be done for free, you could mention pricing of those you list, and a way to contact you to purchase. It'd all be free, but would be limited to those that you get to "Like" the page.

A next step up that doesn't cost a lot is Etsy.com, where several in here have some to all of their pens listed. The cost is minimal just to list and the fee is OK for when you sell something.

Of course there's many other ways, but these could get you started with little to no $ investment.

JessPens

Hey Scott,

Great looking pens! I tried Etsy and have been on there for a couple of months but have not managed to sell anything! Of course, maybe people just dont want my style of pens or maybe I am charging too much... who knows... but they charge 20 cents per pen posted, if you post the same style and say you have a qty of 5 they charge you $1.00. The product is posted for 4 months I think, then you have to repost it... another 20 cents. When you sell the pen they charge a 3.5% transaction fee. You have to make sure to add these costs into the cost of your pen. You can also link your Etsy store to Facebook giving your FB Store a theme matching Etsy. An example is my Etsy Shop:

www.etsy.com/shop/JessPens?ref=si_shop

and to see my facebook just search for Jess Pens...

Of course, you can also buy a Go Daddy account or some other hosting account and install wordpress and buy a theme to build your site. I did this and you can see it at:

www.jesspens.com

All this of course and I still have only sold one pen :confused:... but this is my hobby so I am only hoping to break even some day :biggrin:

I hope this helps...

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Go daddy is having a $2.95 a year domain registry sale if you need a .com website of your own. Doteasy.com has free web hosting for websites. I m sure there are others.

76winger

I use weebly and its free. you can click on my link www.philspenstudio.weebly.com and on the bottom of my page is a weebly button that will take you to the place to create your own free account.

Nice looking website! How much time is involved setting up something like that versus listing on Etsy or Ebay? I'm wondering if the time involvement offsets the free cost of the site compared to the small percentage you pay to list & sell on those.

G1Pens

I strongly suggest Etsy. It is easy to use. Handles payments and it almost free. Twenty Cents per listing for 90 days. You pay a small commission if a pen sales, but only if it sells. I have had reasonable success on Etsy.

g1pens.etsy.com

firewhatfire

It took a couple of days to get it set up and linked to google and my paypal. I post it to my facebook page occassionally and get a few hits at random. The best thing you can do is add as many tags for the google search. I live in Alabama and have had an order from Washington state on a google search. Adding pens once you have the idea is really quick. Drop a small revenue bar on whichever page I want it added to and upload the photo. add description its ready to go

Phil

Top Bottom