Where I can get Quebracho Wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brez

Does anybody know where I can get Quebracho Wood? A customer has asked if he can get pens made from Quebracho Wood. Quebracho Wood comes from South America, apparently it is a very hard wood, Quebracho means "break axe".

Thanks
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Runge

Does anybody know where I can get Quebracho Wood? A customer has asked if he can get pens made from Quebracho Wood. Quebracho Wood comes from South America, apparently it is a very hard wood, Quebracho means "break axe".

Thanks
Mike

Quebracho is a general name for woods from the genus Schinopsis. The woods are light brownish and sunburn to a maroonish color. Schinopsis quebracho-colorado has been imported into the US by these folks:

http://www.argentinefinehardwoods.com/gallery_dense.html

However, Schinopsis brasiliensis and Schinopsis glabra are probably better woods in terms of density.

magpens

My nearest tool store sells wood for turners and currently has several turning blocks of Quebracho ... not that this info helps you ... just wanted to see if I could spell it !!! :)

Rifleman1776

old site

Contact Jim King at: Under Construction - Doteasy.com

Tell him Frank sent ye and say "HI".

I don't know anything about 'Quebracho' but, I'll betcha Jim will tell you it is also known under half a dozen other names. He is quite the (genuine) expert on the subject of exotic woods.

I lost contact with Jim several years ago. Now, apparently, his web site is defunct also. He helped me a lot with info about South America, particularly Peru. A novel I am yet to complete is set in Peru and based almost entirely on information he sent me. To not digress, the wood in question may have many names. This happens a lot in South America whenever a new scientist 'discovers' a previously unknown (to him) tree species. And, Jim told me that in SA there are many trees that "grow like grass" but despite being fast growers are incredibly hard. And, many (many-many) are highly toxic and prohibited from harvesting and export. But, that is a big BUT, there it is a huge industry to illegally export these toxic woods under false names. So, whenever working with woods from SA, take precautions.

Top Bottom