Where is a good place to buy quality blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Dario, BigRob... just to name two of my personal favorites. There are also others here that have some good deals on nice stuff from time to time. Just keep checking hte individual classifieds.

GregD

I agree Dario has some excellent wood. I've never bought from Big Rob but from what I've seen I plan to. There are several others on this site. Keep an eye on indivudal classifieds. Also try McFamily Hardwoods on ebay http://tinyurl.com/9rgqn

JimGo

Yup, as the others have said, Dario and Rob have some nice stuff. If you can catch an offering from Bill Jacobs (ILikeWood), especially a Cocobolo offering, jump on it (unless you're allergic to it). Low_48 also has some REALLY nice domestic woods.

Those are some of the "regulars" here. Bill Baumbeck has some "eye candy", as does Woodturningz. One of the nice things about Woodturningz is that they will hand-pick through their inventory for something that meets your needs, if you tell 'em what you want. Not that our "regulars" won't, but as a larger business, it's still cool to get that kind of service. CSUSA is another good source for wood blanks, though from what I've seen their selection is more like Woodcraft or PSI, in that the blanks tend to not have too much grain movement or other really neat characteristics. That isn't to say you won't get lucky once in a while, but most of them are just OK. (Sorry Nils)

On eBay, McFamily Hardwoods, as Greg suggested, has a nice selection, though I've never purchased from him. Chitswood has a great selection of various woods, including a really nice pen blank sampler pack that you can pick up pretty cheap. The figuring in the sampler isn't always all that amazing, but they are usually nice blanks and you get a wide variety of stuff.

Is that enough to get you started? If not, I can give you some other sources too.

Dario

Ron,

As mentioned by some I do have some blanks for sale. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll see if I can help you out.

Thanks guys!!!

Dario :)

rtjw

Everybody that has been mentioned are really good guys and sell some really good blanks. But if you want really good burls try lee at www.leetreewoodworks.com

Rifleman1776

You asked where to "buy" blanks. In that sense this reply won't help you at all. But, to acquire blanks you can take up the secondary obsession of scrounging wood and making your own. Other woodworkers might give scraps suitable for resawing into pen blanks. Watch for trees being cut down and ask for the wood. Find where professional tree trimmers dump their wood. Before long you might find yourself selling blanks to others.

alamocdc

Ain't "free" wood great?! LOML wasn't real happy that I bought a new chaing saw recently, but she likes the bowls and things I turn from the wood collected with it well enough. [:D] She isn't complaining so much now.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
All good sources. Let me add a couple. PoeticSoul2 on Ebay has nice wood, and so does Ernie McFarlane of Beartoothwoods.com To me, a large part of the fun is shopping around for new and unusual blanks.

Draken

Don't forget www.adoptwood.com and help those folks out in their quest to adopt a baby! A limited selection, but a good cause. Note I haven't ordered any wood blanks from anyone mentioned in this thread, yet. [^]

driften

I order 99% of my wood blanks from Bill Baumbeck. His stuff is great, priced good, and great customer service! He also never over charges on shipping.

BigRob777

Ron,
Thanks for your e-mail and thanks to all of you who vouched for me. I think that you will find plenty to choose from, in my price list post. I also have about 3 specials a month, for pen blanks, most of which are not listed on my price list (see pictures below for examples).
Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.
Rob

<b><center>SPECIALS COMING SOON:</center></b>

CROSSCUT CHAKTE VIGA (CV picture is from previous special)
200511272364_DSCN1228.jpg
<br />
BETHLEHEM OLIVEWOOD
2005112723638_DSCN1696.jpg
<br />

Easysport

BigRob rocks. Haven't bought from Dario yet, but sure I will in the future. Anyone selling blanks on this forum I would recommend buy their feedback from the pen turners here. Also got some nice ones from YOYO.

wudwrkr

A good source for acrylic blanks is www.woodpenpro.com. The selection is limited, but the blanks he does have are fantastic! He occassionally had some decent Koa and other hardwoods.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Thank you, Draken, for mentioning my website. I really appreciate it!

Ron,

I have mesquite, spalted hackberry, osage orange, tigerwood, and brazilian redwood blanks. Not a great selection, I know, but I am not in this commercially. I am just trying to use some of my resources (in this case, the wood I have access to and my sawmill) to raise money for our adoption expenses. The unique thing that I do is let you name your price and pay only once you receive the blanks. If you want any of the above, please let me know. Thanks!

TomServo

mesquiteman: those are some fine looking bowl blanks! Once I manage to get lathe tools and a tool rest, I'll be looking your way for some wood! :) Do you have hedgeapple (Osage Orange) bowl blanks availible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom