Where to go from here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Cigar pens are a nice next step. They are reasonably priced kits and really show off the wood or acrylic well.

Question two? Gifts for all your friends and family! [8D]

LEAP

Mastered the Slimline? surely you jest. Look through the albums at all the things that have been done with slimline kits. Its amazing what can be done with a lowly slimline. Seriously though after the slimline I went to Cigars and Europeans. A little bigger and still easy to turn and assemble. Look through the Arizona Silouette, Berea and CSUSA web pages. You are sure to find something you want to try next.

JimGo

Try the Sierra, or the Baron. The Sierra is a single barrel, but the shape of the pen is very attractive and it is very popular with people who have seen/held it. The Baron has straight barrels (both ends of each barrel are the same size), which affords some nice design options.

I agree with Phil, though...there's a LOT of room to alter the "lowly" slimline.

DaveM

I stepped from the slimline to the Flat top American Double Twist. Not too hard to make. Just remember that the tenon gets taken all the way down to the brass, and don't leave the upper end of the lower barrel proud. (Turn it a wee smidge thin if you have any doubt, otherwise the pen won't twist. D.A.M.H.I.K.T.!) Assembly is a bit tricky the first time, as the kit is engineered with very little wiggle room. You need to sand on the brass, and file out the inside just a bit to make things work smoothly. In the end, you come out with a really nice looking pen. It is my favorite style to carry and write with.

I also am turning 7mm Europeans, but the tenon there is a bit touchy. I have had to glue some center rings on with thick epoxy, and shim them a bit. Also a nice looking pen, but not quite as formal as the flat top in my opinion.

I also agree that you never really master the slimline. I have turned stepped versions with all kinds of shapes, and made my own center rings from contrasting woods and acrylics. I have gone through about 40 of them, and I am still coming up with new ways to do them.

Everybody I know, and most of their friends have a couple of pens now. My girlfriend's sisters should be able to lose them about as fast as I turn them, so I don't worry about getting buried alive under mountains of pens. [:D]

Rmartin

If you're wondering what to do with all the pens you've made, and this goes for anyone in such a quandry, you can send them to me! Problem solved. [:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom