where to get sanding pads?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I need a bunch of sanding pads for pens and various other turnings 80 - 12,000 grit. If they are the larger pads insted of the 2" squairs that is even better. Where can I get them and what brand is good?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

I use standard paper to 600 grit and them MM. Woodcraft sells MM in a kit, $50. (the wife bought this) two sheets per grit, approx 3.5x6" you can cut to size. There are other suppliers of the MM with the larger sheets for less money. I think PSI has the larger for about 13.

Jim Smith

I may be the only person here that like Abranet as a sanding product, especially for the course grits of 150 through 400. This stuff lasts MUCH longer than regular sandpaper, with less heat buildup, and works great either wet or dry. I use it expensively if I'm working on blanks that might be a bit delicate or brittle where a lathe chisel might cause a blowout. I use it on wood, acrylic or Tru-Stone.

The cheapest place I've found Abraet is on Amazon.com where it is ~$9.00 for a pack of 9 (2 3/4 X 8 inch assorment pack) grits 80 though 600. I cut each sheet into four pieces and a pack last quite a long time. I of course use Micromesh for the finish sanding which is also an excellent product.

Jim Smith

jttheclockman

Has anyone used the stuff that Barry Gross sells, Abralon??/ It goes to 4000 grit and it looks like it is a pad and is used on wood blanks.

Last edited:

markgum

I got some 3M sandpaper at Walmart in the automotive section. They have up to 800; 1000 and 2000 grit. So far it has worked well. The price must be good because SWMOB bought it.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Has anyone used the stuff that Barry Gross sells, Abralon??/ It goes to 4000 grit and it looks like it is a pad and is used on wood blanks.

I use the Abranet and I picked up the Abralon a couple of weeks ago. I
haven't opened the box yet. I've got too many things I haven't gotten
to yet.. I spent the weekend trying to put my workshop in order.
I got about 1/3 of the way through it so far.
.. yes, the 1/3 that has the lathes in it.. :biggrin:

I had been packing up to move, but now have another 6 months there.
So I can finally just unpack the boxes and work. Trying to find a particular
blank in one of several boxes is a PITA ..

jttheclockman

I use the Abranet and I picked up the Abralon a couple of weeks ago. I
haven't opened the box yet. ..

What is the difference between the two if you do find them???? How do they compare to micromesh??? I remember Barry Gross stateing in one of his books he only sands to 4000 using these and he says the eye can not detect any finer finish or sanding. That probably can be debated but was wondering about those pads. Thanks for the info.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
What is the difference between the two if you do find them???? How do they compare to micromesh??? I remember Barry Gross stateing in one of his books he only sands to 4000 using these and he says the eye can not detect any finer finish or sanding. That probably can be debated but was wondering about those pads. Thanks for the info.

The Abranet is an open mesh type of sanding disc. This allows the dust to
go through the disc and get sucked up by your vacuum or dust collector.
The abralon is more like the micromesh. But not.

As for not detecting anything over 4000, you're right .. it can be debated.
Not being able to see or detect the higher grit finish isn't the same as
people not expressing a preference for the higher finish that they can't
see or detect.... even if they don't know why.

The eye/brain is a fascinating system.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Different Grits ...

Two thoughts ...

First: The grit on the micromesh isn't the same grit as sandpaper. If you buy the micromesh package (I buy mine at Woodcraft), there's a chart showing two grits and how they overlap.

Second: The guy down the street from me likes to paint cars. I'll occasionally drop by and pickup his used automotive sanding pads. He uses 800, 2000, 3000, and 4000 grit (and I think this is 'sandpaper' grit, not micromesh grit). They have a soft, plyable foam back and they work great wet (they clog too quick if used dry). So I use them on acrylics and such, but not woods.

Daniel

Micro Mesh is in Grade, not Grit. that doesn't mean much to anyone that is not an engineer though. There is also Micro Mesh MX with 12 grades rather than just 9. this brings it down to the equivalent of 220 grit sandpaper. You can get the MX directly from Microsurfaces. just google Micro Mesh or try microsurfaces.com
MX stops at 8000 rather than 12000 but you can still get the regular 12000 grade.

I may be the only person here that like Abranet as a sanding product, especially for the course grits of 150 through 400. This stuff lasts MUCH longer than regular sandpaper, with less heat buildup, and works great either wet or dry. I use it expensively if I'm working on blanks that might be a bit delicate or brittle where a lathe chisel might cause a blowout. I use it on wood, acrylic or Tru-Stone.

The cheapest place I've found Abraet is on Amazon.com where it is ~$9.00 for a pack of 9 (2 3/4 X 8 inch assorment pack) grits 80 though 600. I cut each sheet into four pieces and a pack last quite a long time. I of course use Micromesh for the finish sanding which is also an excellent product.

Jim Smith

NOPE, not the only guy. I bought a package of Abranet through a group buy last year... great stuff. I think it cuts better than regular sandpaper and leaves a better finish. Mine starts at 120 through 400. I think it came in 3 x 9 inch sheets that I cut smaller for ease of handling. Great stuff... Oh I said that already.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Got it...thanks

Grades ... not grit. That makes sense. Thanks for the educational tip.

Micro Mesh is in Grade, not Grit. that doesn't mean much to anyone that is not an engineer though. There is also Micro Mesh MX with 12 grades rather than just 9. this brings it down to the equivalent of 220 grit sandpaper. You can get the MX directly from Microsurfaces. just google Micro Mesh or try microsurfaces.com
MX stops at 8000 rather than 12000 but you can still get the regular 12000 grade.

Chris Bar

What is micromesh...a metal or a plastic material? Was curious as how long it is useable. Is this material similar in composition perhaps to Scotch Brite?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
What is micromesh...a metal or a plastic material? Was curious as how long it is useable. Is this material similar in composition perhaps to Scotch Brite?

Nothing like ScotchBrite .. more like sandpaper. It has a cloth backing so it
doesn't wear out like sandpaper, and where the sandpaper uses adhesive to
attach the grit to the paper, the MicroMesh embeds the grit into a resin that
is bonded to the cloth. Also, the grit seems to be MUCH more uniform than
sandpaper, so the scratch pattern is cleaner.

I've been using the same sheets for about a year now. They're maybe 3x4
inches or so. I wash them in the sink with a little dish soap and a toothbrush
and they're (mostly) as good as new.

Top Bottom