where to get nibs for Statesman?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

Just put together a Statesman fountain pen and noticed that the nib puts down a VERY bold line. I am using only the weight of the pen to glide the pen on the paper.

Does anyone have experience and or a part number for buying a replacement nib for the larger Statesman, Gents, Emperor, Lotus, and Imperial?

I called CSUSA and they suggested nibs.com and fountainpenhospital.com. Since I am new to fountain pens, I have no clue what I am doing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

You might also look at what kind of paper you were writing on as some papers are more absorbent than others and will cause the lines to be thicker. Most common printer papers will pull out way more ink than a nice smooth vellum or cotton paper like you would write a resume or formal letter on.

ashaw

Mikey
All of the Fountain Pens we buy from the various supplies are only a medium nib. Janson is correct about making sure you are using good paper for fountain pens. That being said you can have Nibs.com or Richard Binder regrind your nibs to fine. Check out both sites on their services.

Alan

bjackman

Originally posted by ashaw
That being said you can have Nibs.com or Richard Binder regrind your nibs to fine. Check out both sites on their services.
Alan
And the flow can be adjusted as well. Personally I prefer a wetter flowing nib. One of my personal, daily users is currently a Sheaffer Imperial with a medium steel nib that I would put somewhere at a 7.5/8 in flow on a scale of 1-10. A "nice wet nib" can be a nice selling point for many FP users.

Mikey

A "Nice wet nib" sounds good, but change a letter.[}:)]

Anyway, I am writing on note pads, copy paper, reciepts, post it notes and any other paper I can get my hands on. I'm doing this to get a feel for a daily writer. 'm not going to buy special paper, but really like the look and feel (glide) of the FP, but it looks as if I am writing with a permanent marker.[:0]

i figured it would as easy as ust buying a new nib. [?]

Mikey

I thought about it, but I just want to use and test, plus the pen will be expensive enough. It is a full size Statesman with the Stars and Stripes kit and the flag case. I have about $100 invested in the pen right now. I'd hate to see what I would have to charge if I added a nib that cost me $70 to get.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,

If you do shows, this is a great way to make all your other pens look more affordable - add the nib, price the pen, fully accesorized at $500, $750, whatever trips your trigger. If someone is seriously interested in THAT pen, you can always give them a "special deal", but every $100 pen you have just became MUCH more affordable, compared to your flag!!!

Just a thought!

Mikey

If CS is Craft Supplies, they do not sell them. They sell the nibs for the smaller Jr pens, but not the larger ones. I was told they may have a few laying around for warranty or repair purposes.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Mikey
<br />If CS is Craft Supplies, they do not sell them. They sell the nibs for the smaller Jr pens, but not the larger ones. I was told they may have a few laying around for warranty or repair purposes.

Page 123 in their catalog. Does say not for 'larger', but their tech people told me you can just pull out the actual nib and reinsert into the existing pen. By 'CS' I do mean Craft Supplies. Call and ask for a tech person familiar with pens.

bgray

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
<br />If CS is Craft Supplies, they do not sell them. They sell the nibs for the smaller Jr pens, but not the larger ones. I was told they may have a few laying around for warranty or repair purposes.

Page 123 in their catalog. Does say not for 'larger', but their tech people told me you can just pull out the actual nib and reinsert into the existing pen. By 'CS' I do mean Craft Supplies. Call and ask for a tech person familiar with pens.

Rifleman...I also respectfully think that you may be mistaken. CSUSA sells different sized nibs for the small pens, but not the large ones. The small nibs will not fit on the larger pens. Could be wrong, but when I called and investigated, I found nothing there for large pens.

However, if you go to Arizona Silhouette, you can buy a replacement nib for an El Grande. Take this nib out of the housing and feed, and place it into the housing and feed for the Statesman. They will fit. That's how I offer different sized nibs for the large pens.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by bgray43050
<br />
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />

Rifleman...I also respectfully think that you may be mistaken. CSUSA sells different sized nibs for the small pens, but not the large ones. The small nibs will not fit on the larger pens. Could be wrong, but when I called and investigated, I found nothing there for large pens.

However, if you go to Arizona Silhouette, you can buy a replacement nib for an El Grande. Take this nib out of the housing and feed, and place it into the housing and feed for the Statesman. They will fit. That's how I offer different sized nibs for the large pens.

I repeated what I was told by the CS tech people. There is no disputing that. They may by wrong, but that is what they told me.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
HHHHHhhhhhhmmmmmmmm!
Sounds like we may be on the track of the first misinfomation ever given by CSUSA (tongue firmly in cheek)![}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

They've got a lot of kits to keep track of, and, I believe, they HAD these nibs in the past, but the "way" past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom