Where to get antler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I use an antler dealer in New Mexico. His contact info is in the files of the Y! Penturners group. There are a couople of others there also. PSI sell it....about $25 per pound. Or, I can post it here when I get hjome from work. But, I only buy axis antler from him. I get as much white tail, mule deer, and elk as I can turn from friends that hunt.Ask around....Lots of antler pieces on eBay. Taxidermitsts and deer processors are another good source...if you live in deer hunting country.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ravo
<br />I want to try antler. Anyone know of a source? Thanks!

AirportFF

White Tail I get from friends. I got a piece of Elk a few weeks ago on ebay for 40.00 shipped. I got it and it's almost 3 1/2 feet long! I think I got a deal there. That's a lot of pens.

tnilmerl

Yes, Frank, you can kill a deer and get antler. But I feel that natural sheds are better than the 'still on the hoof' variety.

Unless you have the land with free roaming deer, or a friend, you can shop around to the knife materials supply houses.

Ravo,

How much are you wanting?

jkoehler

Frank,
You don't have to kill the deer. ( no I am not a tree hugger. I also enjoy the hunt )
you just have to be able to convice the deer that he would be better off without the antlers.

Jeff

ilikewood

Ray, I have about 4 or 5 pounds of Mule Deer antler (PLUS I live only 100 miles away). I usually charge about $10 per pound and this is good antler. Send me a note.

tnilmerl

So..... I'm curious. Just how to you go about convincing a deer that things are better off with you having their antlers? I can guarantee that would be one extremely interesting conversation. Probalby a one-sided conversation to boot!

But seriously, drop me a line and I'll talk to some rancher friends and see if that have picked any up. No promises. Lot of exotic game ranches around Kerrville, but these people have wised up on the business end and charge you for the privilege of picking of sheds.

Efletche

I have been lucky enough to befriend a taxidermist. When a deer comes in with a 'broken rack', they usually throw the antlers away. He gives them to me. See, I am helping the environment by not over filling our land fills!!! I also have bought some VERY cheaply at estate sales. Plus, like others, I have friends who live on farms and they always find sheeded antlers in the woods.

Scott

Oh My! Another Idaho penturner!!! Thanks for pointing that out Bill! We're going to get as bad as Texas if we keep going this way! [8D]

Welcome Ray! There are a couple of meat processing places there in Nampa - I'd start by calling them. But once you make some pens from antler and show them around, the antler just kind of comes to you! I offer to trade a nice pen for a rack, and that seems to work.

I've been talking to the people at the Woodcraft about doing a penturning class, maybe sometime in April. Might have to meet up!

Scott.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Efletche
<br />I have been lucky enough to befriend a taxidermist. When a deer comes in with a 'broken rack', they usually throw the antlers away. He gives them to me. See, I am helping the environment by not over filling our land fills!!! I also have bought some VERY cheaply at estate sales. Plus, like others, I have friends who live on farms and they always find sheeded antlers in the woods.

I've been walking in the woods all my life and have never found a shed antler. We have deer in our yard almost daily, they never leave their antlers behind. I haven't talked to them with my 30-06 yet. That might be a convincer. [:0][;)] Actually, most of mine come in trades, from flea markets and at historical reenactment events.

gerryr

I have a friend that's a vet and she says that shed antler doesn't last more than a couple of days because it gets quickly consumed by rodents. We have probably 100 resident deer in our area and I've found 2 shed antlers while riding my horse in the past 4 years. But I have a friend in ND who has probably 50 pounds of absolutely prime shed antler. He finds it in the same place every year at about the same time each year.

bonsaibill

Moscow hide and fur. www.hideandfur.com They have all kinds of cool stuff at reasonable prices.

Joe Melton

The guy recommended by Don Ward is Paul Rector in Chama, New Mexico. I've been to his place and bought antler from him. Never bought it over the phone, though. He has an amazing assortment of antlers, both domestic and foreign, but only sells the exotic (mostly African) stuff as sets. It is far too expensive to use in pens. He has the axis antlers cut into pieces about 5 to 6" long, and sells them by the pound. I think he charged me $12 a pound. This is an efficient way to buy it, cuz you don't have the waste you do if you buy the complete rack.
Paul's number is 505-756-2682. Tell him the minimum and maximum diameter of what you want.
A couple of weeks ago, I traded a local guy a deer antler Euro pen for two complete elk racks. The pen was nice, but not that nice!
Elk has a lot more color in it than deer.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom