Where to find orange acrylic?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TungOilTim

Hi everyone,
I've received an order for a "Florida Gators" pen, and have decided to use a stabilized blue buckeye burl from Woodturningz and slice in 45 degree cuts for some orange acrylic. I've been trying to find anything like this locally with no luck, and online it seems that you have to order a huge amount of material. Thickness doesn't matter to me. Any help would be apppreciated. Also, has anyone turned the stabilized blue buckeye burl from Woodturningz? The catalog shows it as a dark blue and the website shows a light. Any alternatives to this would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

If you would want to do all acrylic I can cast the team colors together, or do solid color blanks that can be segmented. I can also do a half size blank of just orange if you still wanted to do the buckeye route. Here's one I did for a customer for Clemson:
032800x776.jpg

For the gators I'd do a bit of a lighter orange, or any shade you prefer really. My full sized blanks are 3/4" x 5" round or 7/8" x 5" round. Your choice.

GaryMGg

I have both Orange and Blue blanks I've used to make Gator pens.
They're roughly 3/4" X 3/4" X 5-1/2".
I've segmented them so that each pair of blanks makes two Cigar or slimline pens.
I can sell them for $4.00 per blank plus mailing costs.

Here is a photo from my album showing the Gators vs. Tigers:

1_sec5.jpg

TungOilTim

GColeman, I'd have to agree with you on why anyone would want a Gators pen. Brooks, I'll have to check if they prefer the wood or acrylic. If they want acrylic, I'll PM you. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

GregHight

If you just need enough for a pen or two, I have some orange RhinoPlastic that I will give you if you want to try it. It was a "special limited edition" (screw up) so it would be an "off spec" that I couldn't sell as a standard color. Just let me know!

DSurette

Woodcraft has an acrylic called "Gator Alley". The colors look just like Florida Gators colors. The picture of it on their web site does not do it justice. I turned one and I am was very happy with the results.

Top Bottom