where to find a Curved bowl tool rest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I have started the love of turning bowls! I am looking for a curved "bowl" tool rest.

1. Where do I find these? I have a 5/8 post hole and a 25mm post hole. (jet 1014 and HF clone of Jet 1236 VS)

I am currently in discussion with rherrell for some of his strait interchangeable rests.

2. How does the classic curved bowl rest compare to rherrell's flat top "bowl" rests?

I am using the square bars that come with captain eddies carbide cutters. When going more than 3 inches into the bowl with such short handle / leverage, i can't control the cutter consistently or accurately.

3. Would the flat top or classic curved bowl rests help me out?

4. Should I just figure out how to make a longer handle for my square bars?

Any other tips or comments or words of advice would be appreciated for one who wants to make more bowls!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I am not familiar with Rherell's tool rest so cannot help you with any information. Thought saw a post here where he had curved rest too!
Been turning bowls with just a straight tool rest all my life on four different size lathes. Have used OEM rest or my Robust straight tool rest. Have no trouble adjusting both tool rest base & rest for tool support.

If you are losing conttrol you need to adjust your tool rest/base for better control whether use a straight or curved rest. You may find a curved rest easier to adjust and get better tool support.

This French curve or S-style rest once very popular with woodturners not sure of the diameter of the post from this ad but fits the delta midi lathe. Think tool rest post is 5/8" just not sure.

Delta Industrial 46-407 Midi Inboard French Curl Tool Support - - Amazon.com

Robust J-mini rest,
Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source:

Modular Tool Rest system
Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Modular Tool Rest System

kovalcik

The best advice I could give is first, to buy a good quality 1/2" bowl gouge and second, a good heavy scraper. You will get much more control from the bowl gouge being able to ride the bevel and better control of the depth of cut. The extra mass of a heavy scraper helps also compared the the relatively light carbide bars when bridging the gap between the bowl and rest. The curved rests are nice, but there are times you need to span the gap, so a longer handle and heavier bar will only help. How long is your current handle/bar combo?

If possible, buy a quality bowl gouge (Sorby, Thompson, D-way, etc.). It makes a big difference. I started with Ben's Best bowl gouges and have started to upgrade. The BB ones got me going and worked fairly well, but the ones with better steel started off sharper and stay sharp longer. I did not see as much of a difference with scrapers.

Last edited:

Tim'sTurnings

Tim,

did you find this giving you more stability than the OEM rest?

I am not sure what you are asking but this is the only curved rest I have tried. It worked well for the bowl/s I used it on. One end is for the outside of a bowl and the other end is for the inside. I only used it on small, 6-8" bowls.
Tim.

Top Bottom