Where Do You Sell Your Pens ? ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I know some people are selling pens on consignment and are being charged 30 to 40 % commission so they have to mark up the prices accordingly in order to make a decent profit and that in turns slows down the amount of sales. .
Well just this morning, I found a very busy well stocked gift shop that rents space rather than working on commission. A pen display takes up very little space so it will only cost me $7.50 per month for my 16 pen display case and I will get busy and make a 36 pen display case to replace it and it wont cost any more per month. Guess where I will be headed tomorrow morning with my pen display.

Just thought I would pass this little tip along to anyone looking for a reasonable outlet for selling your pens. A little searching around to the various gift shops may find you something similar.
Good luck and happy searching.
W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

William Young

Lou; run out of good ideas ? ? . I hope that never happens ;-) :)

John;
Here is the one I am taking to that gift shop in the morning. It is just basic carpentry with a plexiglass lid. I am going to make another one to replace it for at least 36 pens but it will be a little different style for where it is going.
I just pull some pieces of wood out of my stash and start cutting and sooner or later it evolves into something. Sorry I don't have a pattern for something like this but probably the picture will give you some ideas.

Guest are a arriving for a two or three day visit. Won't have as much computer or WW time ;-( but it is nice to have visitors come and stay a while like that. Then , I could always fire up the puter while everyone's sleeping ... ... ...
W.Y.
64322612.jpg

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks W.Y., and I think I now remember seeing that case before...just always looking for new ways of displaying stuff..forgot what the green stuff was though..?

JohnPayton

melogic

I've been selling a lot of my pens to fellow co-workers. This has been working really well for me. I've sold about $1500 worth or better in the last couple of months.

William Young

John;
The green stuff is flocking as described here at LV
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page=44669&category=1,250,43298,43300

I am not aware of any consignment laws here. I have sold many thousands worth of fretwork clocks etc. for years where I have them on display at another location at 10 % charge and I have yet to have anything stolen. I did have one tiny little 3-D fretwork piece broken and the pieces hidden behind other things. I can't complain. If something ever gets stolen I will just lump it and consider it peanuts on an average of all the stuff I have sold . My prices certainly would be enough to allow for that occassionaly.
The pen case has a small padlock on it since the picture was taken and the people that run the gift shop has a key. The lady that owns the gift shop is an excellent salesperson so she should be able to promote my pens and it will be no problem for her to open the lid and be there watching a propesctive buyer selecting the one they like best..
W.Y

[:)]Hi all,
some have ask for plans to a pen display, no plans made up as I went along.http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL234/1789406/4379710/66763812.jpg
http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL234/1789406/4379710/66763972.jpg
This case is 7 1/2" in back where dawer is and 6" high in front, the pen panel is dadoed into sides & back, the dawer is 2 1/2" deep.
Hope this may help someone.
Just Charlie

Scottydont

Where to sell? Everyone you know!, craft shops, woodworking oriented art stores, real estate offices for closing gifts, airport gift shops, travel stores etc. As for the display the classier the better. EYE CANDY! Exotic wood on the case too! Tags describing the origin and character of the material used.

Here's some advise on consignment. I used to own an art gallery that consigned art work at a 50/50 split. The common practice is for the shop and the owner of the merchandise enter into a consigment agreement as to the terms, liabilities and responsibilities of each party. Especially as it relates to fire or theft. Make sure that you get a contract and make sure you are comfortable with ALL of the terms. Atique or gift shop lease space should be handled no different.

Dominic Greco

I just started making pens about a month ago and have sold most of them to people here at work.

Just before the holidays hit, I usually have a "Holiday Craft Show" here at work as well. I spread all my stuff (bowls of all types, hollow forms, platters, peppermills) out and co-workers can do some early shopping for gifts. And if you're wondering, the managers don't mind <b>at all</b>. They are some of my best customers!

I was just approached by a neighbor whose son owns a boutique. He wants to view some of my larger turnings to see what "fits" in his shop. I believe that the consignment would be about 40%. But we'll find out for sure after we meet.

Hopefully after I get juried (whenever THAT will be!), I will be able to have a table at the more "upscale" craft shows in my area.

G

I have been approaching Jewelry stores.
I started with one in town.I knew the owner,but wasn't looking for a "charity sale".
The second store was a flukey story(as they usually are.)
I get my cobs from a gentleman an hour away, and we meet at a flea market.
A few weeks ago I went to deliver a pen pencil set from payment of my previous delivery and he just started showing off the set to everyone he saw,
A young couple suggested I go to a Jeweler they knew and told me the name and the town it was in.It was a little farther up the road but I made an appointment and went. Another sizable order.Bonus is This store owner has a brother who also has a store a few towns over.
My initial plan was not to have too many retail outlets too close together and it seems to be working.
This past Saturday I placed some sets at a consignment antiques/crafts shop. The owner is a turner himself but he does not do pens.His split is 70/30 my favor.
I would rather be getting the retail price but I am not going to bite the hand that feeds me.
All stores so far have taken wood, corn cob and antler pens and sets.
Good luck to all selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom