Where do you guys buy...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Your 5 min, 2 part CLEAR epoxy?
I was looking around online & the prices have gotten ridiculous.
R***ler's wants $25 for a 8 oz. package of it.

That's way too steep for my budget.
So, where do you guys buy yours from?
I'd like to get the 8 oz. size (4 oz. each bottle) and in clear.
I see lots of amber out there. I don't want that.

Thanks for any help guys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

Go to your local hareware store, walmart, lowes, homedepot, just to name a few

Your 5 min, 2 part CLEAR epoxy?
I was looking around online & the prices have gotten ridiculous.
R***ler's wants $25 for a 8 oz. package of it.

That's way too steep for my budget.
So, where do you guys buy yours from?
I'd like to get the 8 oz. size (4 oz. each bottle) and in clear.
I see lots of amber out there. I don't want that.

Thanks for any help guys.

jttheclockman

Let me ask this question because I have noticed many times here the use of the word epoxy can mean many things. What is it that you are doing with this epoxy??? Not all epoxy are created equal. A good example is the one Jim linked to. Same epoxy company same size but twice as much in price. Different epoxy for different applications.

Last edited:

Herb G

I need it strictly for wood working. Like pen blanks, and the like. I am not sealing bar tops with it or anything like that.
Even $16 is a lot to me, because I got some System Three Quick Set Epoxy like R***ler's sells for $25, but I only paid like $10 for it. I guess that must have been awhile ago.

TonyL

Hi Herb: I sent you a PM, yesterday, with an inexpensive source assuming you use the 40% off coupon (Hobby Lobby BSI brand). I have used it for close to two years and 300 barrels. It dries clear, has a working time of 5 minutes and cures in 30 minutes, but I wait an hour. I have also used the following:

At least of supplier sells this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Adhes...1412309&ref_=sr_1_19&s=merchant-items&sr=1-19

Hobby Lobby sells this (and you get 40% with their coupon):
5-Minute Quick-Cure Epoxy | Hobby Lobby | 1027614

Exotics sells this:
Exotic Blanks :: Wooden Wonders CA Glues :: Epoxy Glues :: E-Z Bond 5 Min Epoxy - Please Choose 4 or 8 oz Size

Rockler (as you know):
BarrelBond 5-Minute Epoxy Gel Glue, 2 oz. (1001K04) - Rockler Woodworking Tools
I bought this twice - no complaints, but don't see the difference..perhaps there is one, but I have not been able to detect one.

CSUSA and almost any store that sells hardware, home goods, etc sells this, but it takes longer to cure (12 hours and I have found it to have a tint of amber - but I never see it because I paint the inside of all barrels or use opaque blanks:
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/15/4827/Gorilla-Glue-5-Minute-Epoxy. Some of their line and others claim to fill gaps - which is a nice property if needed.

I don't state that any of them are the "best" or will survive anything other than affixing tubes to barrels (not to minimize John's question about application/intended use - excellent variables to consider!), and using a pen to write with under normal writing conditions :).

I had the same question when I switched over to epoxy (from CA), I didn't understand why there were so many types, curing times, etc.

I did learn the difference between working, setting and curing time real fast and the hard way (but just once).

If you discover something that you like better, please share it with me/us. I am content with the above and another 2 or 3 that I tried, but love to learn about what others like.

Last edited:

designer

Look at fishing rod suppliers like Mudhole. The epoxy used to cover threads stays clear and of course they have different prices depending on the brand. This one works well and stays clear.
Shopping

KenV

Herb

The epoxy pros will tell you that all epoxy has some yellow color. Some have a lot more, and a few have less.

Even the Rod building thread wraps have some color.

System 3 has less yellow than many

So what is more important. Color or price?

jttheclockman

Again you have to make a distinction as to what you are using it for. Casting epoxy is not the same as adhesive epoxy. Then there are different levels of each. Do you honestly think a $8 epoxy is the equivallent to a $20 epoxy of the same volume???

Casting epoxy is not the same thing as casting resins. This is where things get so muddied when questions get asked.

If you are looking for a good 5 minute epoxy adhesive, my choice is System III Quick cure5 If you are looking for a superb high strength 24 hour epoxy System III T88 is what I use. This is all I use. When I find something that works well why would I want to experiment and waste money.

As far as color goes they are as about as clear as you will get for an adhesive epoxy. Note the wording. :)

LanceD

Look at fishing rod suppliers like Mudhole. The epoxy used to cover threads stays clear and of course they have different prices depending on the brand. This one works well and stays clear.
Shopping

You do not want to use thread epoxy to coat thread as a glue. It's a different composition compared to epoxy used to glue things together. Thread epoxy is just that, it seals your thread and nothing else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom