Where did all the swirl go?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

This is not to be taken as a complaint to any supplier as this is the nature of these blanks. When I turn Bakelite I never know what I will end up with until the very end and 99 times out of 100 I exceeded my expectations. This was # 100. I've been on a Lotus kick and decided to make a Red Swirl Bakelite fountain pen from a blank that JimMc7 sent to me. The blank turned as well as all my other Bakelite blanks have and was looking better and better all the time until just before the end the swirl when to swirl heaven and just disappeared. It still will make a very nice pen but would have been outstanding with the swirls.....

IMG_1606-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Roy,
Been there. That sure is a nice looking blank. I have gotten some cool swirly material and figured I could keep 75% of the swirly, ended up with a solid tube sans swirly. Its too bad that rod looks like it has a lot of character.

Daniel

Sucks when the swirl goes out of life dudn't it? I had the same probelm with Crushed velvet and a slimline kit once. Except it lost not only all the swirl it nearly lost all the color as well. been real careful about just what pens I try to put acrylics on. Goes to show that no mater how careful you are some things are just up to fate. now of course the other half of the pen will have all sorts of swirl in it just so it is obviouse to everyone how messed up that one is.

randyrls

This may sound like sacrilege, but you might want to intentionally drill the blank off center toward the swirls. Make sure you leave enough meat for the tube thickness.

I've done this with antler to make sure some of the surface is exposed.

OKLAHOMAN

Randy, that just might work as these blanks are a good inch and a eight round... Now to get Pauls vise to drill off center Hmmmm!:rolleyes:guess I could put a shim in one side:wink:.
This may sound like sacrilege, but you might want to intentionally drill the blank off center toward the swirls. Make sure you leave enough meat for the tube thickness.

I've done this with antler to make sure some of the surface is exposed.

Top Bottom