where can you find?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman

ok i know there are multiple types of animal skin pens and i was wondering if any one has made an alligator skin blank if so post a pic and where you got it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

no, but this wood looks like gator skin IMO

obj241geo241pg14p12.jpg

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Good point, Hans. A nice piece of afzelia xylay does look like gator skin. On the other hand, you can probably find a gator closer than Laos. On the third :confused: hand, it likely is less dangerous to harvest afzelia than a gator.

Seriously, I would think it would have to be belly skin from a gator to have scales small enough for a pen. It certainly has the potential to be an interesting material to try.

PR Princess, how about it? If you send Ed and me to Louisiana for a week or two we'll see about getting some gator hide for you to work with. Of course I may spend more time eating some real food for a change!!!!!!:biggrin:

Russianwolf

Good point, Hans. A nice piece of afzelia xylay does look like gator skin. On the other hand, you can probably find a gator closer than Laos. On the third :confused: hand, it likely is less dangerous to harvest afzelia than a gator.

Seriously, I would think it would have to be belly skin from a gator to have scales small enough for a pen. It certainly has the potential to be an interesting material to try.

PR Princess, how about it? If you send Ed and me to Louisiana for a week or two we'll see about getting some gator hide for you to work with. Of course I may spend more time eating some real food for a change!!!!!!:biggrin:

Have Cav, Gator is good eatin'.

GoodTurns

On the third :confused: hand,

Of course I may spend more time eating some real food for a change!!!!!!:biggrin:

two points...can i borrow that third hand? no turning is turning my brain to mush.

2nd...I assisted in making a huge pot of Gumbo over Labor Day weekend, noone believed me whe I said I'd bring the gator....it was tasty! (and yes, I did just happen to have a gator tail in my freezer :biggrin:!

JohnU

I believe the guy that was making the gator bone pens also had pens with gator skin on them. He had a couple that were half bone half skin. I have a pic at home but I dont remember who he was.

ldb2000

Hey William , while your getting that gator you gonna check if it has some shoes :rotfl:

Quote; "Just then the blonde flips the alligator on it's back, and frustrated, shouts out, 'Damn it, this one isn't wearing any shoes either!' "

OldWrangler

Ironman,

A friend of mine in deep East Texas makes some super pens from gator and uses skins on many of them. Contact Robert Snowden at rwspensandmore@sbcglobal.net . He may even be a member and have a gallery page on here. I am heading to a dr's. appt or I would look it up. He makes some pretty gator pens...worth looking at.

George

Russianwolf

I mentioned this to someone and they jokingly suggested "baby alligators? you wouldn't even need to cut the skin. just slide it over the tube" Now I have a mental image of a pen with tiny alligator legs.........................

OldWrangler

Here is a gallery picture of gator pens from snowman56, Robert Snowden. Some of the pens have gator hide on part of the pen and all are made from the jaw bone of legally harvested gators. It can be done. Picture is old and not the best but you can tell it is hide.

Attachments

• 2008-01-28_215355_alligator_pens_021_Medium.jpg
    2008-01-28_215355_alligator_pens_021_Medium.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 118

PR_Princess

Hey, hey, HEY!!!!:eek:

What you talkin' 'bout - send you and Ed to Louisiana for a week or two!! While I do what? Stay up here buried in the snow in WI???? Me thinks that you had way too many Mai Tais on your last trip, my mischievous pink uniformed friend! Not a chance in %*#$ I'm staying behind. I'll be right there with the two of you....And I'll do my own hide 'inspectin' too... Thank you very much!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Gator does make good eatin' - so Jon keep your tail out of the freezer!:tongue:

On a more serious note. Pens have been done in alligator hide before. I have seen Robert Snowden's pens in person and they are really, really beautiful. He really does a wonderful job and that picture does not do them justice!

BTW in no way does this compare to Robert's exqusite pens, but it is just another example.
http://www.frufruyou.com/alligatorpen.html

Last edited:

snowman56

I have been doing alligator hide and bone pens for a pretty good while now. Actually they are my best sellers around here, but I live in southeast Texas where alligators are plentiful. The hides sell by the centimeter so be prepared to pay a pretty penny for some. Ocasionally they have some on ebay. I had pictures of them on the original site, but haven't put any on this new site yet.

snowman56

A few of my alligator pens

I think I am attaching a picture of some of my alligator hide/bone pens. We'll try anyway. Here you go Ironman. Thanks so much for the very kind words PR Princess. I'm glad you and Ed like them.

Attachments

• Alexspens1.jpg
    Alexspens1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

JohnU

Robert, sorry I couldnt remember your name in my earlier post, but I knew your work and that it had been done. thanks for posting the pic. I never get tired of seeing those works of art! Over the Top and Very Inspiring!

Russianwolf

Thanks Robert. I am going to be trying something similar with some leather I have on hand. I am worried about how well it will hold up with just glue, have you had any issues with them?

snowman56

Mike
I have several hundred out in the world and no complant's so far. Glue one of your scrap up and try to take it apart, then let me know what you think.

Top Bottom