Where can I get only a 1/4" roundnose scraper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drferry

I can't seem to find anyone that has a 1/4" roundnose scraper to sell that is not part of a set. Does anyone know a source?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

I don't know if this will help, but I figured I would mention it. There is a guy on ebay his user name is joebill1 he sells lathe tools with replaceable carbide cutters. Now I got his 1/2" round nose, but what he is talking about is a 1/2" cutter, which is not 1/2" presenting to the work (if that makes sense). Anyways, what is presented to the piece is more like .3" give or take a few hundredths of an inch. Good stuff, nice tool and when you make a dull spot you just turn it a little and you are fresh again.

Scott

Hi DRF,

I have an Ashley Iles round nose scraper in a 3/16" that is one of my favorite tools! It is so nice for making precise small cove cuts. In the US you can check them out at Tools For Working Wood. I hope this helps!

Scott.

Fred

If you want to you can always make a tool from an old worn out file. The steel takes an amazing edge and it really is not all that hard to do yourself. Just watch the heat when grinding and don't lose the temper of the metal. :eek:

DavidSpavin

If you want to you can always make a tool from an old worn out file. The steel takes an amazing edge and it really is not all that hard to do yourself. Just watch the heat when grinding and don't lose the temper of the metal. :eek:
I have been told that the idea of making turning tools from old files is potentially dangerous as the steel tends to be very brittle and can shatter. It would be wise to re-temper the tool before use.:eek:

Firefyter-emt

Your best bet would be to make one. Use HSS metal lathe cutter bits and grind your own profiles. Some round stock with a hole drilled in and a set screw would secure the cutter bit. I have a couple HSS 1/4" bits I don't use if you want, you can have them. Just PM me if you do.

drferry

Scott,

You are absolutely correct about the Ashley Iles scrapers at Tools for Working Wood. I ordered three of them. Thanks!

David R Ferry

Top Bottom