Where can I get Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyref

Where is a good place to look for corian. I'm looking for some for pen blanks plus I also want a larger piece for a table top. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Local cabinet shops have corian for countertops. If you get to know them (buy a countertop) they CAN (may not) give you a nearly inexhaustible supply of cutouts-every counter needs at least one sink.

As you near a selection on the large piece, try to work "scrap" into the deal.

jenamison

I agree with Ed, I called a local cabinet shop and they said I could have their scraps for free, that they were just throwing it out anyway. So that is probably your best bet or at least a good place to try.

JimGo

Mike, I tried to find a cabinet shop before buying mine from Alice, but all of the locals I tried said that they only use granite or other natural materials. Talk about frustrating!

JimGo

I think it's likely to split up when turned. I think some on here have managed, but most recommended the reconstituted stone instead.

its_virgil

Granite is too hard to turn with wood tools. The cultured stone procucts(sile stone, cambria, have voids inside them...air pockets...plus they are hard also. Corian and other similar material is "poured" or cast in a vacuum, so no air bubbles..hense the name "solid surface". There is a stone turners group where more information is probably available....not trying to run you off, just offering some information. The real stones that are soft enough to turn are usually brittle and will break if dropped...even pens made from these stones.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jenamison
<br />wow that sounds like some high dollar vendors, for counter tops and stuff, that is. Can you turn granite with regular wood tools?

J. Fred Muggs

Dave: Here's you a deal and a half! This link takes you to a guy on Sawmill Creek's forum who is giving away red, white, and blue Corian for pens for the Freedom Pen Project. He says enough for 100 pens. You pay flat rate shipping only of $8.50.

Got mine yesterday. I can get well over 100 pens of just corian. I'll probably mix in some wood and corian and get way more than 100. He apparently got the stuff free from Dupont for FPP. The red and blue are off cuts from the raw edges at 1/2" thick. The white was in approx. 2 1/2" x 6" cut pieces. I was very pleased with the order.

Interestingly the guy enclosed liteature for his company in NY. He sells almost anything you want in corian by the square foot.

What a deal! What a deal!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20167
[:)][:D][8D]

pen-turners

Dave,
If you have a bandsaw and can cut your own blanks, let me know. I have a ton of extra corian and avonite laying around that I'll send to you if you just pay the shipping. I can fit a bunch in a USPS priority flat rate box for $7.70. Let me know by emailing me and I can ship some out to you.

Chris

Thumbs

Many contractors leave the sink cutouts with the homeowner for future repairs so you might only get a few scraps and thicker pieces usually are limited in color choice, too. Just an FYI if you want it.

green-eyes

I had a heck of a time trying to find Corian in my area! I bought pen blanks on EBay but, they were only large enough for slimline pens. I called every single cabinet and countertop shop in the state of Maryland and found ONE willing to give me their "scraps", only wanted a case of beer for them. I needed larger pieces for basket making and the Art Specialties store wasn't cost effective. I also received Corian for the FPP but, haven't had the time to turn them. I am currently in DIRE need of Corian that is Carribean colored for flower girl baskets I am making for a wedding and can't find it anywhere! Good luck in your searching, if you come across any promising leads, let me know!!

Becky

airrat

Becky here is a link to the site from the guy that gave all that corian to the FFP. I have no clue what color Carribean is. I looked at his site and seems to have a nice amount of colors to choose from.

http://stonewood.safeshopper.com/

green-eyes

I am looking for one or two pieces. The last basket I made was from a bathroom sink cut out, roughly 11" X 12". So that size would be great. The Caribbean is in the yellow green color palette. I e-mailed Art Specialties and they could only get me a whole sheet, I thought it was a bit of overkill for a small basket.

Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom