Where can I get Bankasia Pods?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

Check with robutacion of George's Bits of Timber in the vendors section of the site. He'll just pick them out of his front yard for you...

robutacion

Check with robutacion of George's Bits of Timber in the vendors section of the site. He'll just pick them out of his front yard for you...

Hahahah, true, true however, those 2 Banksia trees have had a major surgery to try to keep them alive, they are prone to lots of diseases and die easily so, from the very beginning I moved up here and they were only a few years old, I treated them twice a year with lots of stuff and lots a rich compost around the roots.

This has made them grow and grow, producing lots of pods the following years however, due to the location (next to the neighbours fence) they can only grow to one side (well actually 3 sides) but, the healthy growth has made them go tall and then the weight pulled them down, and lifting the roots off the ground towards the opposite direction of the fence, snapping also many of its branches joints and the wood is brittle so, I had no alternative than give them a hard prune, last year.

The Banksias are recovering very slowly and will take a few years before I get any decent pod yield, I'm almost ready to collect this years yield and if I counted right, I have 7 pods to collect some of which may not be usable for making my Resifill blanks as, the trees produce pods with seeds and pods without a single seed on them, even though they all look identical from the outside because of all those hairs so, I may have enough usable pods on it to make half a dozen blanks, when they dry out ( a couple of years)

I have shown how those trees looked in its splendor, how the pods look like inside and out and also I shown a couple of pics of how they looked after the harf trim, they still look pretty much the same now, next year it will look better...!

Now, there are many types of Banksias as you can see here, each one produces a different colour shape and size, the pods that will come out of these flowers will all look different so, to keep things simple, the 3 most common/known are the Banksia integrifolia, Banksia praemorsa and
Banksia grandis, and as the name indicates, these are the "giant" pods you see on sale.

I don't think that the Banksia Grandis grows around here, as I never saw any, the two I have in my front yard are the Banksia Praemorsa and the Banksia Integrifolia are from my auto-mechanic's property, these are a miniature of the Banksia Grandis, more appropriate it we call the Dwarf Banksia Grandis, they max size/length is about 4" or less.

Not trying to be too detailed, this can work as a little knowledge lesson to many of you, that may haven't had a clue.

I have not seen a single place where you can buy the pods from the same Banksia species I have, not because they are rare but because they are a lot more difficult to work with or, make them workable and all because of that red velvet they have protecting the seeds core, nature made it like this, not me, I'm just making them usable, useful, workable and capable of producing amazing pieces of art, showing all its natural characteristics...!

I'm not interesting in selling any of my pods that have seeds, those I use however, I have bags of pods that have no seeds in them, and while they look the same outside, no seeds are to be found, if you want to try something out of these, I can sell them cheap...!

Anyway, this is not an add, not I intend it to be, I thought that was important that people realise that not all Banksia pods are the same...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom