Where can I find a kit like this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kaydubya

My retailer customer is very specific in what he wants me to make for him: high quality pens resembling the pen in the picture as closely as possible. Price is not a consideration as this is a high-end customer wanting a high-end product. I've been searching PSI, Woodturningz and Berea Hardwoods sites to no avail. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Black pen.pdf
    108.7 KB · Views: 809
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Hmmm ... if you mean the blank for that barrel, then Gaboon Ebony would be your answer.

I've no idea where the kit's from, though. You may wanna peruse the vendor sites available here in the IAP.

kaydubya

Just to clarify: the photograph is of a commercially made pen, so it probably was not made from a kit. I am seeking a kit to make a high quality pen that resembles the one in the photo as closely as possible. And no, Skie_M, I am not looking for a blank, but thank you for your eply.

Joey-Nieves

My retailer customer is very specific in what he wants me to make for him: high quality pens resembling the pen in the picture as closely as possible. Price is not a consideration as this is a high-end customer wanting a high-end product. I've been searching PSI, Woodturningz and Berea Hardwoods sites to no avail. Any suggestions?

This is my favorite Exotic Blanks :: Pen Kits :: Pen Kits (By Pen Kit Name) :: Jr. Gent II Pen Kits (All) :: Jr Gent Ballpoint - Rhodium at least it's the same spec's all you would need is the precious acrylic(LOL)

Y'know, it's KINDA like a cigar pen. A lot would depend on how "beefy" the customer wants the pen to be.

Might want to take a look at the CSUSA kits. There are several, both in the "apprentice" and the "artisan" lines. Not sure what (if any) the differences are, other than $.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good luck. I don't think there are very many twist ballpoint kits out there that would generally be called high end. There are a few that might be close depending on the quantity you need.

Flaturner

Another Thought

One problem I see is the patent/copyrights issue(?). Make it look too much like the one in the photo and that manufacturer may not like it much.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
One problem I see is the patent/copyrights issue(?). Make it look too much like the one in the photo and that manufacturer may not like it much.
The OP is located in New Zealand so trademark and patents are not too likely to be an issue if his retailer is working a domestic market.

kaydubya

A big thank you to all you guys who pitched in with suggestions (yes, even you Ed). I researched them all, picked out the most likely and took photos to my customer. He accepted my recommendation of the Jr Gents rhodium ballpoint and I have now relieved Exotic Blanks of the small number they had in stock. I did notice that someone else had them in stock at about the same price but I don't remember who it was.

alphageek

Former Moderator
A big thank you to all you guys who pitched in with suggestions (yes, even you Ed). I researched them all, picked out the most likely and took photos to my customer. He accepted my recommendation of the Jr Gents rhodium ballpoint and I have now relieved Exotic Blanks of the small number they had in stock. I did notice that someone else had them in stock at about the same price but I don't remember who it was.

Good luck! Hoping you post some of your results! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

kaydubya

The OP is located in New Zealand so trademark and patents are not too likely to be an issue if his retailer is working a domestic market.

Correct, but anyway the reason the retailer wants an alternative is that his supplier advised him they are no longer in production.

Last edited:

bobleibo

Check with Craft Supply....they usually have them. I'm pretty sure another IAP vendor does as well but can't remember who it is, sorry. https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/2/5029/Artisan-Jr.-Gentlemen's-II-Postable-Rollerball-Pen-Kit

kaydubya

Good luck! Hoping you post some of your results! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Will do in due course! Customer has stipulated jet black acrylic, which I'm thinking will look quite smart.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The fail is strong in this post.

I wonder if you realize the freudian slip in your statement Ed. I think the fail is definitely in your post!

Too bad you feel you must constantly put down people more than positive input.
It was difficult but I resisted the temptation to respond to that post.

kaydubya

Check with Craft Supply....they usually have them. I'm pretty sure another IAP vendor does as well but can't remember who it is, sorry. https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/2/5029/Artisan-Jr.-Gentlemen's-II-Postable-Rollerball-Pen-Kit

Yes that was the one.

Top Bottom