Where can I buy corian?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rogersab1223

Hey guys -

Where do you guys that have turned corian finishing bushings and/or barrel shims pick up the small quantities of raw corian?

Andy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wolf-Sword

I would find an installer and ask him what he dose with the left overs.
Offer him a pen, maybe say you could provide him with pens for clients that go with a corian countertop.

whegge

I just went to my local cabinet maker and asked if they have any cut-offs. He gave me as much as I wanted.

I made a few pens out of the stuff he gave me. He told me come back any time.

sbwertz

My friend showed a corian pen to a cabinetmaker friend of hers, and he gave us a bunch of offcuts, but then he came and asked her to show him how to turn corian pens. He is an experienced turner, just had never turned pens. Now he makes pens to use as advertising for his business.

navycop

I just went to my local cabinet maker and asked if they have any cut-offs. He gave me as much as I wanted.

I made a few pens out of the stuff he gave me. He told me come back any time.
That's where I get mine. I go dumpster diving at the local countertop manufacturers.

Lenny

I have gotten some cut offs from distributors but if you don't have luck that way you might want to check with IAP member corian_king. He has offered some here before .... lots of colors, and the price wasn't unreasonable.

sbwertz

If you get it in larger pieces, cut some of it in 1" wide strips, then glue them together to make 1"X1" blanks for larger pens. Most corian comes in 1/2 inch thickness, which is fine for slims, but challenging for anything bigger.

sbwertz

Is Corian any different turning? Do you just need sharp tools?

Yup! It turns pretty nicely, not much different from a hard wood really.

The most difficult part is pressing in the tip and cap. On a slim, it is really thin at the tip and if there is any glue in the tube, or you get it a little crooked, it may crack the blank when you press it together. It is more brittle than wood.

Top Bottom