Where to buy fountain pen ink

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Give James at www.peartreepens.com a call. He may be able to make a deal with you if you are buying a lot of ink. He has always been very fair to me.

I use a few brands myself and here is my take on them.
<b>Private Reserve:</b> nice rich color, but a hair saturated and likes to feather often.
<b>Diamine:</b> Wonderfull ink that has been sold since 1864. These tend to be a bit "watered" but nice.
<b>Visconti:</b> Made in Italy and my favorite, but not too many colors
<b>Pelikan:</b> Very well behaved ink and has been around a long time
<b>Noodlers:</b> Heck man, it's all about choice here!! I think they are at like 100 colors now!
Good ink, the bullet proof likes to "creep" onto the nib, but well behaved and larger bottles. (I love the Tiananmen Red)

So that is my take on what I use, personaly I think for the price, the Diamine is a good bet or the Noodlers. The Diamine will have a more reagle apperance of old world class, but the Noodlers will wow them on selection and value. Hope this helps! [:)]

jeffj13

I'll second what Lee (firefyter) has said about peartree pens. Great variety, good prices and James is a delight to deal with.

I typically use the Private Reserve brand and really like it. I haven't experienced the feathering that Lee has, but that could be as much a function of the paper and other factors as it is the ink.

jeff

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Jeremy,

Russ makes an excellent point, which is no surprise. Quink is an easy flowing, easy to use ink that is excellent for demonstration purposes. It will be the ink in my demonstration fountain pen this weekend. Experienced fountain pen users know what ink or inks they prefer, and likely already have a supply.

Scott

I buy most of my ink from James at Peartree Pens as well. I know that Anthony also sells ink, and Lou used to (do you still, Lou?).

I use most of the same brands that Lee mentioned above, with the addition of Aurora, Watermans and Lamy. I even keep a bottle of Parker Quink Around! [:D] I would say that overall the best performing inks over long periods of time are (by an edge) the Watermans. That being said, what I have inked right now is Aurora Black in one pen, and Private Reserve Tanzanite in another.

Scott.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I sell Private Reserve Inks on my website and can get you started with good prices, but I would seriously consider the slippery slope upon which you are embarking. Inks and colors are very personal. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to carry sufficient varieties to please even a small percentage of show customers. You can tie up a lot of money in ink that returns very little on your investment. For shows, I carry a blue and a black with me. Everyone understands that I am not in the ink business. At shows there are always folks who sell ink for 50% or less of retail...that's not a market in which I want to participate.

ashaw

Jeremy
Listen to what has said. If you are looking to be in one of the pen shows then the other vendors are selling the same ink at much less. I buy large qty's but that is only because of my Founding Fathers. When I went to d/c just took one bottle with me so that customers could dip the pen in to try out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom