Where To Buy Elegant Beauty Kits - Black Ti

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
That is a Berea Elegant Sierra, also sometimes called an Elegant Beauty Sierra. I sure with these darn manufacturers would change the name so that folks don't get confused. The difference is the Elegant Sierra, as I prefer to call it, twists at the bottom and is a little larger. The Elegant Beauty has a longer metal piece at the top and twists at the top. It also uses a smaller tube. The Elegant Sierra is my favorite kit.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
This naming convention is making my head hurt, maybe if i bang my head against the wall it will sink in. Below, if i am reading this right, Curtis you say:

The Berea Elegant Sierra is somtimes call an Elegant Beauty Sierra...
so does that mean they are the same kit..??

Elegant Sierra twists at the bottom..??

Elegant Beauty twists at the top..??

Maybe a petition to the vendors to change these doubledanged names..??..sheesh..

That is a Berea Elegant Sierra, also sometimes called an Elegant Beauty Sierra. I sure with these darn manufacturers would change the name so that folks don't get confused. The difference is the Elegant Sierra, as I prefer to call it, twists at the bottom and is a little larger. The Elegant Beauty has a longer metal piece at the top and twists at the top. It also uses a smaller tube. The Elegant Sierra is my favorite kit.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would suggest you look at the pictures when purchasing these kits. AND read the descriptions. The Elegant Beauty from Dayacom has a tube that is about .33 ID. The Berea version has the standard diameter sierra tube (about .38)

The Dayacom turns from the top, the Berea extends like all other sierras, by turning the "nib".

Cosmetically (or artistically) they are also different from each other. But that is an individual preference question.

BTW, There is an "elegant" sierra and an "elegant beauty" from Berea--they are not the same pen. We will be redesigning the way we present these pens on Exotics in the next couple of months.

Hope this helps!!

Russianwolf

quick way to tell them apart is the ring where the clip attaches.

The EB ring is very thin, 2-3mm and flat with the finial.

The Sierra based kit is much larger 6mm or so and bulges slightly.

Here is the true EB for comparison. I personally think it's the better kit of the two.

Attachments

• lknm 029.jpg
    lknm 029.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 168

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The naming problem is from Berea and I complained about it when they first came out. Take a look at Berea's website. The Black Ti/ Platinum and the Ti Gold/Black Ti are called Sierra Elegant Beauty and the EXACT SAME kit in chrome is called an Elegant Sierra! Why in the world they think they need different names for the same kit just because of the plating baffles me, especially since the name on the first one is so similar to a completely different kit.

The problem I have with the Elegant Beauty the twists at the top is that the portion we turn is even smaller than the Sierra series. For my taste, it has too much metal in proportion to the part we turn. I personally also find it harder to turn the top piece with one hand. Maybe just because I am used to the way the Sierra series works.

Russianwolf

Mike that is exactly the kit! Twists like a Sierra correct?
So which kit are you saying it is

The one that Mike is showing is NOT the same at the one you linked at Penefit.org. It is the Elegant Beauty and twists at the top.

Yep. Notice the difference in the clip ring between it and the one you linked to, right at the base of the finial.

The one I posted the finial is the twist, they are very sensitive to tube length like the cigar pens. But I've never had a customer have a single problem with them.

The Sierra based kit that you linked to is Berea's attempt to mimic the EB because at the time there were no retailers of the EB, only wholesale with very large minimum orders. It is a very forgiving kit since the tranny attaches to the nib section and the tube is just the activator. The sierra family of kits has had problems with customers unscrewing to replace the refill then pushing together to the point where the tranny gets "lost" in the tube.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I took the liberty of borrowing Mike's photo to combine it with the Penefit.org photo to give you a side by side comparison. Hopefully Mike will be OK with that. They should be close to the same scale showing the lower one a little smaller.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 269

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Mike,

I am not sure the Elegant Sierra is an attempt to copy the Elegant Beauty since they are both made by Dayacom. I think the Elegant Sierra is a better business decision for Berea since they only have to stock one set of bushings and extra tubes for all of the Sierra line.

Russianwolf

Mike,

I am not sure the Elegant Sierra is an attempt to copy the Elegant Beauty since they are both made by Dayacom. I think the Elegant Sierra is a better business decision for Berea since they only have to stock one set of bushings and extra tubes for all of the Sierra line.

You sure about that? Berea claims to have their own manufacturer.

No problem with using the pic at all, in fact, A couple quick shots of the two side by side and disassembled. (had to use my camera phone as someone absconded with our Fujifilm :mad: as well as all the change in my truck)

Attachments

• DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Berea does not physically make kits. They contract the manufacturing out to Dayacom I am almost positive. Just like most homebuilders claim to build houses but they contract it all out to other people! (I do actually BUILD houses, btw!)

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Well, I may need to retract the "almost positive" part about Dayacom above! I just ran out to my shop and looked at the bags for some CSUSA Dayacom kits and they are heavier plastic and say Dayacom Taiwan on them. The Berea Elegant Sierra kit bags are thinner plastic and simply say "Made in Taiwan". Could just be that they use different bags for Berea? Who knows!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Curtis,
I can say with 100% certainty that Berea has a dedicated (to them) source in Taiwan.

I can also say MOST of their pens are made by that source. Lately, however I am not CERTAIN that ALL of their pens are made by their "partner" in Taiwan.

Specifically, Dayacom makes a version of the Churchill that sure looks like it's identical to Berea. So, is Dayacom just buying it from Berea's source? Or is Berea buying it from Dayacom or THEIR source??

"Only the Shadow knows" and he ain't sayin'!!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Ed, what does dedicated to them mean? Does that mean that manufacturer only makes kits for Berea and no one else? And is this based on what Berea says? Grizzly Tools also claims to have a dedicate manufacturer of some of their tools but folks who have actually been to the factory tell (and show photos) of Jet tools coming out of the exact same factory. Not doubting what you say, I am just curious. I know Berea is a large kit retailer but it seems it would be hard to justify having a complete factory that only make stuff for Berea and no one else.

Kinda like Sears and their Kenmore appliances. They claim to make them and technically, they do since the stuff is to their specs and designs. Their Kenmore Elite high end dishwasher, for example, is unique to them but is actually made by Bosch to their specs. Their high end Kenmore Elite refrigerators are unique to them as well, with features only found on their product but it is actually made by G.E. to Kenmore's design and specs.

Again, not trying to argue, I am just curious. I knew that Berea's stuff was made in Taiwan instead of China and guess I wrongly assumed it was by Dayacom.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When we did craft shows, we learned a little about manufacturing in Taiwan and China, MANY suncatchers were made there "in our factory". ("OUR" was the word used by those selling, not Dawn and I)

We learned a factory is YOUR factory when any one line is being used to make a product you ordered and, usually specced out.

So, yes, at the moment the pens are being made for Berea, it is THEIR factory. Remember, however, that Berea also makes the pens Wood Craft (500ish stores) sells, as well as several other outlets smaller than Woodcraft but much larger than AS, BTW or Exotics. And, of course, you can purchase from Berea directly off their website. My point is, they sell several tons of pens, monthly. So, yes it could (and apparently does, based on my 60 day lead-time) keep a "dedicated line" busy in Taiwan.

No, Curtis, I do NOT perceive your comments as argumentative---I believe LOTS of folks could learn a lot about who makes what if we had this discussion, openly, more often.

COULD Dayacom be using the same line at a different time?? It would not shock me, but it WOULD be surprising based on what I have learned about this industry in the past two years.

Remember, I have now spent as much on pen kits as any of us would spend on a new, larger style car. So, it should be obvious, I have a vested interest in learning "more than the casual purchaser", but I don't claim to have complete knowledge, yet.

How much research did you do, before YOU bought your last new car???

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Curtis
Are we allowed to HAVE this conversation in Individual Classifieds???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The mods could shut us down for polluting, couldn't they?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

PR_Princess

.......Remember, I have now spent as much on pen kits as any of us would spend on a new, larger style car. So, it should be obvious, I have a vested interest in learning "more than the casual purchaser", but I don't claim to have complete knowledge, yet.

:eek::eek:!!!

Well, there goes my birthday Mercedes!!! :mad:

Russianwolf

keithkarl2007

Cheers Mike, didn't realise this was just discussed. I have both and want to get a few more of each, kinda his and hers. I figure where the grip is black-ti for his and chrome for hers.

KenV

Great Discussion!!!

Appreciate the information and greater understanding that reading this provided. Thanks to all for the contribution!!! Yea!!!

Top Bottom