Where to Buy a Collet Chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

truittsosebee

I'm looking for a collet chuck and can't find anywhere that sells them. I know that I've seen them on a website before, so maybe I'm overlooking them. Can anyone tell me who sells them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cbatzi01

I have the woodriver collet chuck from woodcraft, but I do not recommend. If you look on ebay, seller 800watt has collet chucks at reasonable prices. I would recommend getting a chuck that screws onto your spindle, not a MT2 type.

Good Luck!
Chris

Daniel

I own 1 800 watt chuck and 2 Beall chucks. after using all of them for a while I have come to prefer the 800 watt when it comes to having to change collets or remove and add things to the chuck. Lucky for me this is the chuck I use on my metal lathe when drilling bullets etc. The Beall chucks are a little more persnickety when it comes to tightening and such but more reliable in quality. I use both of mine on my wood lathes to hold pen mandrels so the changing out of stuff is not an issue. I mount the mandrel in them with a 1/4 inch collet and am set until I wear out the mandrel. this is the only way I found to actually get my mandrel to run true on my old lathe.
I took a gander at the P.S.I. chuck. I am not sure just how you are supposed to tighten the nut on that one. I see no flats for wrenches or notches for any either. hand tight often does not work.

THarvey

I own 1 800 watt chuck and 2 Beall chucks. after using all of them for a while I have come to prefer the 800 watt when it comes to having to change collets or remove and add things to the chuck. Lucky for me this is the chuck I use on my metal lathe when drilling bullets etc. The Beall chucks are a little more persnickety when it comes to tightening and such but more reliable in quality. I use both of mine on my wood lathes to hold pen mandrels so the changing out of stuff is not an issue. I mount the mandrel in them with a 1/4 inch collet and am set until I wear out the mandrel. this is the only way I found to actually get my mandrel to run true on my old lathe.
I took a gander at the P.S.I. chuck. I am not sure just how you are supposed to tighten the nut on that one. I see no flats for wrenches or notches for any either. hand tight often does not work.

The PSI chuck comes with tommy bars. There are sockets drilled for the bars, or spanner wrenchs.

BigguyZ

I too am looking at getting a collet chuck. Though my hope is to have the family buy it for Christmas, not me. ;)

Looking at 800watt's collet chucks, they all seem to be tapered units. I don't see any that accept the 1" 8 TPI headstock.

Last edited:

randyrls

I sent a message to 800watt inquiring about a 1"x8tpi, no response yet

Tim; If you get a reply from 800watt. Watch out for Flying Pigs!

Just my joking way of saying it is unlikely that you will get a response from him. On the plus side, reasonably prompt shipping, good prices, good quality.

Jim15

I have the woodriver collet chuck from woodcraft, but I do not recommend. If you look on ebay, seller 800watt has collet chucks at reasonable prices. I would recommend getting a chuck that screws onto your spindle, not a MT2 type.

Good Luck!
Chris

I have to agree with Chris.

dogcatcher

Looking at 800watt's collet chucks, they all seem to be tapered units. I don't see any that accept the 1" 8 TPI headstock.

I would stay away from the MT taper chucks, you are limited on how deep you can put you material into the inside. I would go with the Beall or the PSI screw on chucks, I have used all 3, the 800 Watt 2MT, the Beall and the PSI. All are good chucks, decent quality, Beall being the best and most expensive. The problem with the 800 Watt is the depth of the inside of the chuck.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus

workinforwood

This is going to depend on the size of your lathe of course..you need a good size lathe to run this chuck, but Little Machine shop <littlemachineshop.com> has a 5c collet chuck for about $150 or so. Technically that is a metal lathe item. I do believe they have the adaptor plate to screw that baby onto a 1x8 threaded lathe spindle! You can buy a whole set of 5c collets, about 32 collets, around $89 on ebay. If you ever buy a metal lathe, then you can use them in both machines. If I am correct about this chuck..then you could technically put this on a jet mini, but there's no way a jet mini will have the power to spin this thing..it's about 25 lbs of metal! It does not use a draw bar. You would screw the adaptor on to the spindle, then bolt the chuck to the adaptor. You use a key to draw the collet into the chuck.

If you are using a mini lathe, I would not consider anything but the Bealle collet chuck. don't buy the Bealle set, jut buy the chuck. If you buy the set, it comes with 5 collets. Not enough collets to do anything with. You will need to buy a set of ER32 collets for that chuck, so there is no point in having the original 5 as then you would end up with duplicates. The Bealle is a bit pricey, but if you are running a mini, my opinion is that this is the best chuck for the machine.

BigguyZ

Jeff,

Sadly, I only have the Jet 1014. Though I definitely want to upgrade in the future!

But for now the Beal or PSI chuck should be fine. I know the Beal is ER32- is the PSI the same?

Thanks,
Travis

Top Bottom