where to buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aerotech

can anyone truely convince me where the best place to buy pens would be. i just ordered a handful european pens from a big name place and every center band had gold peeling of the trailing edge and some peeling of the leading edge. if you read the stuff at arizona silhouette and bear tooth woods they both sound almost exactly the same and very convincing. i've purchased pens from probably 5 different sources and dont have the skill to tell them apart.

Can any of you experienced turners please tell me where you would buy something as simple as a gold plated slimline or european pen from and why, in your opinion, you recommend that location.

for example. i purchased a few 7mm slimline pens from woodcraft and not too long after assembling them the pen clip would rotate freely around the top of the pen, but when i put together a pen from CSUSA it was obvious the clip would not be able to rotate because it took an act of congress to press it onto the clip holder thingy. i also noticed a groove in the center of the clip holder thingy half way down which allowed me to rotate the clip into a specific location prior to final pressing. seemed like a nice idea to me anyway.

So how about it fellas. Who makes the best pens????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Dale; Everyone...... but not all at once....:):redface::frown:

When you get past the poor plating and understand that you don't buy any bottom of the line kits, each kit is unique.

On some kits (Baron, Navigator, Slimline) I apply a micro-drop of CA between the finial and the clip.

If the fittings are not tight enough, I will put a drop of CA onto the inside of the brass tube before pressing the fittings on.

On others (Sierra, et al), I have to install a spacer so the transmission will not retract into the finial.

On El Grande, etc the material isn't very thick on the finished pen, so be careful when turning to size. Don't put too much pressure on the blank. Be sure to drill the hole for a snug fit to the blank. Too large a hole can mean you don't have enough material on the blank

The best thing to do is get a loose leaf notebook and write on the instruction sheet, the little items you took care of during creation. I routinely

• write down the drill bit size for the kit. Half the time, it isn't the recommended size.
  • The tube length, ID and OD.
  • Fitting sizes - NOT the bushing size, the fitting size. I don't care what size the bushing is unless it will be part of the pen... :rolleyes:
  • I still measure the fittings for each pen I make.

Mark

I'm not saying anyone is the best. Everyone is at the mercy of the company that actually produces the hardware.

I use WC slimlines exclusively. I've put out at least 80+ slims. One needed a replacement tranny (thx Smitty). I've never had peeling plating. I also use their 7mm copper hardware for all my bullet pens. I've had the occasional clip spin. I simply put a dab of CA in and press the clip assembly in again. Problem solved.

Good Luck with your search.

its_virgil

Beartooth Woods and Arizona Silhouette along with Woodcraft sell Berea Hardwoods' kits. Woodcraft changes the name: Baron is the WC navigator; Sierra and Sierra vista is the WC Wallstreet II and III. Rockler sells many of the Berea kits along with a few others. So, why purchase from WC ahd Rockler when the other two resellers are cheaper. Not all platings are availablel from all resellers of Berea kits.

Ed and Dawn also sell Berea kits at http://www.exoticblanks.com

Craft Supplies has no resellers but some do import some of the non exclusive CSUSA kits from the manufacturer.

PSI kits are also sold by several resellers. many of the kit sellers here sell PSI kits or import their own from the manufacturer. Woodturningz.com is the larger reseller of PSI kits. They also sell most of the other PSI pen making tools and materials which may not be on the website.Call and ask.

I'm sure I've left out someone and for that I apologize.

Except for a few of the higher end kits sold by PSI I purchase mostly from Beartooth woods, arizona silhouette, and CSUSA. Exoticblanks.com will be getting some orders now that they are selling Berea kits.

I stay away from gold kits of any kind except the titanium gold kits.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

can anyone truely convince me where the best place to buy pens would be. i just ordered a handful european pens from a big name place and every center band had gold peeling of the trailing edge and some peeling of the leading edge. if you read the stuff at arizona silhouette and bear tooth woods they both sound almost exactly the same and very convincing. i've purchased pens from probably 5 different sources and dont have the skill to tell them apart.

Can any of you experienced turners please tell me where you would buy something as simple as a gold plated slimline or european pen from and why, in your opinion, you recommend that location.

for example. i purchased a few 7mm slimline pens from woodcraft and not too long after assembling them the pen clip would rotate freely around the top of the pen, but when i put together a pen from CSUSA it was obvious the clip would not be able to rotate because it took an act of congress to press it onto the clip holder thingy. i also noticed a groove in the center of the clip holder thingy half way down which allowed me to rotate the clip into a specific location prior to final pressing. seemed like a nice idea to me anyway.

PenMan1

Yes, I can convince you of THE best place to buy pen stuff!

It is rarely the cheapest place...but it always has the quality you are looking to buy, the level of customer service you expect, the shipping schedule that meets your needs, warranties their products the way that you warranty your products and finally, regularly stocks the items that you and your customers or friends would like to own.

For me, this list is about 12 or so places that each specialize in "what they do".

If you focus on the "best price" you will always make cheap, crappy pens than nobody wants. IF you focus in the best VALUES that meet the needs of YOU and YOUR CUSTOMERS, you will make masterpieces.

As an old time farm worker (barely educated at all) once told one of my family members (a highly educated and results oriented boss) "well sir, ya gots to put down before you pick up".

This is research you must discover on your own.
Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

Aerotech

Randy, Andy... I was afraid of that. I've learned a few lessons the hard way and was hoping to avoid any more. Although up until now I was thinking the "upgrade" gold was a good enough product for what i was doing and now i am second guessing that.

I also have to admit that i am surprised WC sells the same kits as AS because i love the ones from AS and seem to have nothing but problems from WC to include crappy ink and loose fitting parts.

I think the other answer I was looking for was where do you do your one stop shopping and the answer is you don't. I haven't been able to find one shop that sells everything I need and it looks like that is the norm.

Randy, Andy and Mark, thanks for the advice. Don, thanks for the education. And thank you all for taking the time to share your experience with us here at IAP.

randyrls

I also have to admit that i am surprised WC sells the same kits as AS because i love the ones from AS and seem to have nothing but problems from WC to include crappy ink and loose fitting parts.

Dale; Part of the difference between WC and AS is that pens are a product among MANY products that WC and others sell. But Bill at AS only sells pens and similar items. The emphasis on "core product" is what produces the differences. The business arrangements are likely different as well. Bill may pay a premium for higher quality specs and Bill may "screen" what he sells and reject pens that are not up to quality specs.

Added later; As Andy said, a place that specializes in a product (core product) will usually have higher quality and better service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom