Where is the best place for kits, wood, and supplies?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PlutoPens

Up to this point, I've used Woodcraft for all my supplies but it's clear that they are the most expensive. Where can I find some cheaper supplies/what is your go-to vendor?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim15

Welcome Matt. If you look on the front page of this site you will see, at the top, two Vendor tabs. That is a good place to start your search for supplies. And what's even better is that they are members and will treat you right.

Jim Burr

Banned
Your best bet would have been the "Search" function...but no one uses that anymore. What did your efforts turn up?

PlutoPens

Your best bet would have been the "Search" function...but no one uses that anymore. What did your efforts turn up?

Newbies might not know about the search availability

Thank you :)

Some people try to discourage new people in their hobby or profession, or what ever it may be but I simply don't understand that. If you're passionate about something, wouldn't you want more people to also be passionate about it. That's why I am open and friendly to anyone new in my profession. So thank you for being welcoming to this community!

eliasbboy

Newbies might not know about the search availability

Thank you :)

Some people try to discourage new people in their hobby or profession, or what ever it may be but I simply don't understand that. If you're passionate about something, wouldn't you want more people to also be passionate about it. That's why I am open and friendly to anyone new in my profession. So thank you for being welcoming to this community!

I am constantly amazed at the kindness and willingness to help on this site. I would be nowhere near where I am (and I'm FAR from an expert) in this hobby/business or hobbiness if you will, without the people on this forum.

I too went to Woodcraft when I first started for everything.:eek: It wasn't until months in that I saw the price differences.

The many vendors here are beyond helpful and I could not recommend any of them more. Picking one above others would be like choosing your favorite child. I actually find myself selecting certain items from each one so I can spread my support around.:)

Last edited:

John Doyle

Try Timberbits.com in Australia they offer supurb service a great range and prices are the best that I know and all of the kits are top quality.
John Doyle

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Up to this point, I've used Woodcraft for all my supplies but it's clear that they are the most expensive. Where can I find some cheaper supplies/what is your go-to vendor?

Thanks
Start looking at the vendors on this site....I am one of them but I do not hesitate to buy from others there are 5 vendors here that I buy various things from and all of them treat me well even though we are "competitors". I also number a few of the vendors here on my customer lists.

My experience with the small vendors here is that we have one thing in common. We all know that every customer is important to our success and we treat them that way.

tim self

Where is the best place............

Thanks

The question is depending on what kind of pen you want to buy and whether "your" best place is dependent on price or quality. Stick to the vendors here.

No particular order so:

Classicnib.com
Exoticblanks.com
smittyspenworks.com
Woodnwhimsies.com
lazerlines.com
woodturnerscatalog.com
woodturningz.com
garypye.com/Pen-Kits-GPW-c88/
bereahardwoods.com

Just to name a few and I know I missed many, sorry for the omissions as my brain isn't very operable this morning.

Disclaimer, quality is determined by each individual.

Last edited:

Wildman

You have received a lot of good advice on vendors and where to buy. At one time knowing the big three suppliers Berea Hardwoods, Craft Supplies, and Penn State Industry and their resellers was all you needed to know.

At one time Woodcraft carried nothing but Berea kits and supplies, some franchises carry Dayacom & PSI kits and supplies too. Think same is true with Arizona Silhouette too today. Many of the PSI resellers carry an economy line. Same is true for Craft Supplies & Penn State economy line kits. I prefer not to make economy kits.

Also confusing many kits carried by vendors look the same but have a different name and component sizes may or may not be the same.

So please ask about a kit by name and vendor until you get it sorted out. I am more confused today than when first started out. I look at components like drill sizes and bushings listed for a kit & instruction to keep me straight.

southernclay

The vendors on this site are a cut above and I prefer to order from them. That being said I've never had a bad experience ordering anything from a supplier or from the deals or classified forums directly from members. A few issues here and there but have all been handled fantastically.

WriteON

Good thread. I have been a dedicated PSI customer for the past year but will consider other vendors. Thank you to all of the quality vendors we have here.

kovalcik

Good thread. I have been a dedicated PSI customer for the past year but will consider other vendors. Thank you to all of the quality vendors we have here.

Frank,

You can have the best of both worlds. A few of the IAP vendors are also PSI resellers. Usually you can order PSI item from them for less than PSI directly.

beck3906

I haven't heard of many folks recommending this vendor so I was a bit surprised. And, yes, I was concerned it was a steebar subsidiary.

its_virgil

steebar is a company that takes your money and then has other companies drop ship the mdse. They have an address for payments to be sent. They seem to care about the next name for a website to get new business than tending to the customers who have already purchased. One (or more) of their websites has a name(s) close to penkits.biz .Penkits.biz is located in Arkansas if I recall and steebar has a New Jersey address(s). I once had a list of the steebar aliases but can't find it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

The four I usually go to first are ..., penkits.biz,

You're recommending penkits.biz?

Ummm why not? Am I missing something?

DLGunn

Ok, to clarify I was talking about penkits.biz, which goes by the name Pen Making Supplies. And yes, they are located in Arkansas. I have no affiliation with them other than being a satisfied customer.

I do not know who steebar is and would never recommend a place that I have not personally used and had good results with.

aplpickr

Cut your own pen blanks

One of the best sources of wooden blanks is your own table saw. A board foot of expensive lumber ( example: African blackwood @ $120 bd foot) will yield ~ 24 blanks (5.75" x .75" x .75") @$5 each. Not too shabby! Common lumber in the $4 TO $5 range works out to be pennies a blank. Depending on length needed, you might stretch out 12 more blanks at about 3". Figured walnut, figured maple, ambrosia maple, etc can often be found in this price range. Many wood suppliers will sell a lineal foot of excellent wood if there is at least 4' left after your cut. Narrower boards can reduce the total tariff. Do not just look at the bd ft price. Figure the blank cost! I once bought a lineal foot of 8/4 x 12" wide purpleheart for a total of $24 at a Woodcraft. Yield: 26 each 2" x 2" x 2.25" Christmas ornament blanks. The ornaments sold for $25 each. :)

its_virgil

No one is accusing you and any thing. It is just an unfortunate coincidence that penkits.biz, which is a reliable and reputable company, has a website url which sounds close to one (of several) used by a company with a horrible reputation. I don't think any of use would recommend a company we had not used and with which we were satisfied customers.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Ok, to clarify I was talking about penkits.biz, which goes by the name Pen Making Supplies. And yes, they are located in Arkansas. I have no affiliation with them other than being a satisfied customer.

I do not know who steebar is and would never recommend a place that I have not personally used and had good results with.

rblakemore

A lot of suggestions here; do not despair we all started where you are. I started where you are and WoodCraft was our main supplier (there is a great store in SW Houston, and I get most of my tools and equipment from WC). Pennstate Industries was next and I used a number of their pen kits and overall have been very satisfied. But, reading here it becomes apparent that there are other suppliers with great prices and kits better than WC or PSI supply. I now use Exotic and Beartooth frequently and have been exceedingly well pleased. Look over the pens made and determine what you plan to make next, then select some vendors and try a few. Then you will find a selection of pens and vendors that you like and prefer.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
Get good service from all of the venders on this forum.. never a problem...I get kits from Smitty and glue from Exotics

Top Bottom