When you drill your blanks...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

I cut in half first, it has it's benefits; less heat buildup since the deeper you go,
the more trouble you will have in general with getting chips out of the hole,
and as Ed mentioned, less drift.
On many pens, it is pretty well a must though, as they have 2 different size drills.
You have to cut it at some point, usually, anyway so I like the beginning of the game.

JerrySambrook

I do my drilling in one piece, to a point.
I drill deep enough to go through to more than one tubes depth, part off, then use the same center hole to finish drilling. I find this helps me go get better grain alignment on those items that need the grain alignment. If the blanks have two different dia tubes, I drill the smaller one first, part off, the use the existing hole in the non-through drilled blank to pilot the larger dia drill.

Hopefully I explained it, as the writing of this process is more complex than the drilling process is.

Jerry

I cut first and mark what will essentially be the center of the pen to start the drilling.. better grain match. I also cut a little long so if I do get any chip out at the exit, I have room to mill it away.

JohnU

I cut then drill, but not just in half. I measure the blanks larger than the tubes and cut, (large enough that a tearout at the bottom while drilling will not be in the picture after milling) but you will get left overs from your blanks for later making center bands or segment pens. I have a bag full that I pick out of every now and them.

mg_dreyer

When I am worried about tear out (acrylic) I cut first then drill on each fresh cut side deep enough to get the tube with some extra, then sand or band saw off the bottom - no tear out, nor break out, clean end everytime.

Top Bottom