What's your skew of choice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

It seems that the skew chisel is quite popular, but what shape and size?

So for skews, what's your choice? Square or Oval? 1/2", 3/4", 1" or another size?

Thanks,
Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF you are going to "rough" the blank from square to round, heavy is good--1" sorby is my choice.

Once it is round, any skew will work.

JimMc7

3/4" with flat sides - curved edge - I have 4 so I usually have one sharp (or a lot to sharpen!): Sorby, Crown PM, (2) Thompson

TerryDowning

I have 3 skews all flat. The skew/tool of choice depends on the task at hand really.

a 1/4" shopsmith mini that came with a set of 5 small tools. Great for small detail work.

a 5/8 of unknown origin and manufacture. It's old but sharpens well, holds an edge fairly well, and most importantly handles like a dream I use this for general turning in most projects, beading and coving as well.

a 1" Shopsmith as old as my '55 shopsmith a set of was/is included at purchase but still works well. It's good for longer spindle work with gentle curves and outside of bowls. Also good for pens when I want straighter profile.

My go to skew is the 5/8 most of the time. It's small enough for some detail work and broad enough for straight work. If I could have only one skew, this would be it.

mick

I use an old 1" Shop smith skew to round things down then switch to a 3/4" Robert Sorby oval skew to finish up.

76winger

I trained myself on a 1" square skew (a 40 year-old Powr-Kraft) that I had rounded the corners on.
More recently I've been using a 1 1/4" (I think) Sorby oval that took time to re-train for, but now works quite well. I still use the old Powr-Kraft for scraping though, because I can lay it flat on the rest and have more control over it.

its_virgil

1 1/4 inch oval skew with the curved cutting edge. I have a 1 inch skew with a curved edge. Once the blank is round I move down to a 1 inch skew then smaller as the blank gets closer to final size. I have two round skews I really like...round as in made from a round bar stock. These two have straight cutting edges. I have two others that are have convex bevels instead of straight or hollow ground. I really like these also. I just like using skews. Skews rock! round, oval, flat, curved, hollowground, convex or straight bevels.....

Taking time to learn to use the skew was a lot more fun than spending the same amount of time sanding. My sanding starts at 320.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

greggas

Learned in tHe past year how useful tHe skew is. After Taking two great classes recently with Alan lacer I think that Te bigger the ski the better. Dutton on square skew 3/4- 1" for pens with the gRind that lacer recommends ( 1/8" flat shape at the long point followed by a curve. Check out his website

seamus7227

I use a 1" Oval (curved cutting edge) Sorby skew. I also prefer the 3/4" oval Sorby skew. It took me some time when I first started to learn how to use them, but once I did, I was hooked! You really cant beat the results that are achieved from using skews!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I have four, the two I use the most are my 1" Thompson (square, rounded like a Lacer) and a homemade 1/4" round.

Last edited:
Top Bottom