What's your favorite color black?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

So, if you have to make a pen for yourself, for your own personal use, and you want it to be black, which black would it be? What's your favorite color black?

What's your favorite black color wood or plastic? Let's assume it's going to go with a chrome pen kit...

Mike...

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Hi Creid,

Which color plastic?

Mike...

Plastic. Because if I CA Ebony it looks plastic anyway and Ebony has a tendency to crack.

I thought you wanted to know whether I preferred wood or plastic in black. If you want to know a specific plastic blank that is generally black in color I would have to take into consideration the Kit, my mood and who or what I was making it for.

mikeschn

Hi Curt,

It's for you. You pick the mood, and the kit. You've already made 100 different kinds of black. And now you want something special for you.

Which one would it be?

Mike...

Hi Creid,

Which color plastic?

Mike...

Plastic. Because if I CA Ebony it looks plastic anyway and Ebony has a tendency to crack.

I thought you wanted to know whether I preferred wood or plastic in black. If you want to know a specific plastic blank that is generally black in color I would have to take into consideration the Kit, my mood and who or what I was making it for.

KenV

Coal black ebony with just some tiny streaks of creamy tan.

My ebony is well aged and I seldom have cracking issues.

jttheclockman

Never made a pure black pen and probably never will unless commission to do so. If I am doing a black, Gabon ebony is as black in wood as you get but i am mixing with white or aluminum accents somehow. If plastic it will be Black Mother of Pearl or Storm clouds and being that has accents in it no need to segment. Good as it gets in my eyes.:)

qquake

Definitely acrylic. I've used both Rhino Coal Mine, and acrylic acetate Pure Black. What I don't like are inlace acrylester blanks. I do like the look of black against chrome. I also like the look of a black lower body with some other color upper body.

Attachments

• 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 185
  • done01.JPG
    done01.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 204
  • done04.JPG
    done04.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 220
  • done02.JPG
    done02.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 196

Skie_M

Coal black ebony with just some tiny streaks of creamy tan.

My ebony is well aged and I seldom have cracking issues.

I like Massacar Ebony ... it has natural golden tan/brown streaking in it that shows up in bright light and is lovely... I think you might like some of that stuff too, Ken! :)

PenPal

So, if you have to make a pen for yourself, for your own personal use, and you want it to be black, which black would it be? What's your favorite color black?

What's your favorite black color wood or plastic? Let's assume it's going to go with a chrome pen kit...

Mike...

Black is not a colour but a shade. I remember so well photographing weddings where the groom traditionally wore black and the brides white so the contest was detail black and detail white. Colour pics were hand coloured.

Pics were printed in black and white the black/white areas painted over with cow gum and then sepia toned to get the skin colour. Then the cow gum rubbed off, a hand colourist would complete the photograph.

Excellent pics of available now black plastic can be seen in Jim,s posts over time (qqake)
African Blackwood (heartwood of) is an excellent tone easy to work and quite stable.

My favourite has been timber but for top black Rhino blanks take some beating.

Good luck with your choice.

Peter.

Last edited:

Akula

Lot of great choices in wood and horn but if I was to do one in resin, then the easy choice for me is the Black Majestic Pearl...ok well now that I'm thinking about it, guess I will be pouring one this week LOL Thanks

mikeschn

I made a couple pens today. One out of alternate black ebonite, the other out of mica black pearl.

I definitely don't like the mica black pearl. The alternate black ebonite looks nice, but I don't understand what it's supposed to be. Hard rubber? If real black ebonite is hard rubber, what is alternate black ebonite? Softer hard rubber?

Mike...

P.S. Added photos... first one is alternate ebonite on sterling silver, second one is mica pearl black on black titanium

1_IMG_5381a.jpg

1_IMG_5382a.jpg

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
I made a couple pens today. One out of alternate black ebonite, the other out of mica black pearl.

I definitely don't like the mica black pearl. The alternate black ebonite looks nice, but I don't understand what it's supposed to be. Hard rubber? If real black ebonite is hard rubber, what is alternate black ebonite? Softer hard rubber?

Mike...

Any photos?

I have about a dozen shades of black for resin.
If I need a simple solid deep black, I use a matte black.
If I want a deep black that shows some depth and pearl effect, I use something called Blacktastic pearl. It is very deep black and has variations that give it incredible depth.
Combining two or more shades can give a great appearance as well.

mikeschn

The forum shrunk my photos... any tips for uploading photos? or where are the forum photo directions?

test...

1_IMG_5381a.jpg

1_IMG_5382a.jpg

Mike...

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Who remembers Chuck Key's uber cool Tactical Pens?
My all time favourite black pens:biggrin:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/tactical-pens-version-2-a-25543/

Yes and I have those in a folder of pens I want to try to duplicate over time. I had mentioned this a few times here as I found pens I wanted to try. I have a few of yours too Skip.

Being I do not own a metal lathe I do all my work with woodworking tools. So my challenges are a bit more involved. But I love a challenge.

campzeke

I made this one about a year ago as a commissioned piece. I would have never made this on my own but have made several since. Once polished, the black acrylic really pops on silver hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_4449.jpg
    IMG_4449.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 111

TimS124

Ebony that's been hanging around my stash for many years. No need to slather it in CA, just polish sand and polish....ebony looks great "naked" if you polish the heck out of it.

Top Bottom