Whats Your Favorite "Cheapest & Nicest" Pen Kit you use

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikedealer

slimline not valid answer haha.
something in the $5-7 dollar range and widely available. whats your favorite that looks the nicest..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

I mainly carry this and this.......... The Knurl is rugged, has Phila Flyers colors, and the Baron has nice weight and I put a Pilot G2-10 refill in it. Then again every week I'll put a different one on my shirt pocket. Don't we all?? :biggrin:

Attachments

• Baron Rollerball - spalted maple burl(3).jpg
    Baron Rollerball - spalted maple burl(3).jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 357
  • Knurl Twist - Wild Hog (2).jpg
    Knurl Twist - Wild Hog (2).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 276

mikedealer

I mainly carry this and this.......... The Knurl is rugged, has Phila Flyers colors, and the Baron has nice weight and I put a Pilot G2-10 refill in it. Then again every week I'll put a different one on my shirt pocket. Don't we all?? :biggrin:

i like the baron alot.. very nice choices there

CaptainJane

SPW Elegant Royale and PSI Executive

The Elegant Royale from Smitty's Pen Works is a nice quality pen that is a shorter single tube pen that will fit pockets and purses easily. It has the bonus of an extra nice refill included. Once you experience the great Schmidt refill, you end up spending the extra bucks to put these in all your pens.

The PSI Executive is a nice pen, and is available in several platings. It has a slightly longer tube single tube than Sierra style - just under 3 inches..

JohnU

I get requests mostly for the Sierra style (27/64") and cigar pens. Both are very easy to make and each style offers many different platings and options with finials and center bands while using the same tubes and bushings within each style. I would call them affordable since the word cheap can imply poor quality.

WriteON

Nice pen. Go Flyers. The Knurl is a great inexpensive pen. I also like the Vertex.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Since the OP specified $5 to $7 range - my best offerings are as Captain Jane said the SPW Royale in GM.

In addition, the SPW Caballero RB in Chrome and Le Roi V2 Chrome.

The Royale and the V2 are fitted with Schmide EasyFlow 9000 M refills and the Caballero RB is fitted with a Schmidt 888 rollerball refill.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I like the Imperial kit. The only note is it is not cheap but 2 out of 3 is not bad.
I think it is relative....to someone who was looking at $150 pen kits, it would be cheap but to the OP way out of his specified domain.:biggrin: "Nice" is also relative your idea of nice might be different that mine:):) So actually you only have one out of three--it is available.:wink:

jttheclockman

I like the Imperial kit. The only note is it is not cheap but 2 out of 3 is not bad.
I think it is relative....to someone who was looking at $150 pen kits, it would be cheap but to the OP way out of his specified domain.:biggrin: "Nice" is also relative your idea of nice might be different that mine:):) So actually you only have one out of three--it is available.:wink:

Thanks for letting me hang onto the FAVORITE portion of this. I feel so much better now. :biggrin:

edstreet

Thanks for letting me hang onto the FAVORITE portion of this. I feel so much better now. :biggrin:

Poor John, I will give you all 3 out of 3 if it will make you feel better. Also 'nice' is highly subjective and not something that should be bashed, esp with vendor advertisement.

Same with the words "I think", when it comes from someone else it is their opinion, not yours. What is most valuable here is individual thought and what you state with "I think", not what is given to you by others.

I happen to agree with you on the Imperial, it is a very nice setup.

I also have to ask 'cheapest' does this imply low/lowest quality in this case?

jttheclockman

No matter what, the OP asked for each person's personal Favorite, Cheapest,and nicest kits they use. I like the Imperial all the way around but it is not the cheapest kit I use. I do like the Cigar line of kits and they are cheaper in price. It is however not my favorite or by far not the nicest in MY opinion. Do not know any other way of answering that question so I gave it my best shot but again not good enough. What is a person to do????:rolleyes:

monophoto

IMO, most pen kits are entirely too 'blingy'. I find simple to be far more appealing.

And while I'm personally a dedicated FP users, most FP kits are not very good - I prefer screw caps on a pen with a thinner body (max 10mm hole), and as I said, I don't like all that bling.

So sorry - I vote for slimlines.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
No matter what, the OP asked for each person's personal Favorite, Cheapest,and nicest kits they use. I like the Imperial all the way around but it is not the cheapest kit I use. I do like the Cigar line of kits and they are cheaper in price. It is however not my favorite or by far not the nicest in MY opinion. Do not know any other way of answering that question so I gave it my best shot but again not good enough. What is a person to do????:rolleyes:
Read the qualifier --- $5.00 to $7.00 price range.....That defines what the OP thinks of as cheap and eliminates most pen kit styles offered for sale from consideration. :):):)

jttheclockman

Read the qualifier --- $5.00 to $7.00 price range.....That defines what the OP thinks of as cheap and eliminates most pen kit styles offered for sale from consideration. :):):)

Well I went by the title and it seems others have too. My answer is not going to help him anyway neither is anyone elses. It comes down to a matter of choice and likes and dislikes.

Justin H

I disagree with JT here...

... My answer is not going to help him anyway neither is anyone elses.

From my own personal experience, the above is simply not true. Reading the opinions of many varieties of turners and vendors and opinionated individuals is VERY helpful.

It was to me when I started and it still is. I often browse this forum and end up spending my hard earned money to try something a few people have expressed their delight in on this site.

There is no where else I can go to get the opinions of folks who turn pens. And who better to give an opinion worth listening to than a fellow pen turner?

jttheclockman

... My answer is not going to help him anyway neither is anyone elses.

From my own personal experience, the above is simply not true. Reading the opinions of many varieties of turners and vendors and opinionated individuals is VERY helpful.

It was to me when I started and it still is. I often browse this forum and end up spending my hard earned money to try something a few people have expressed their delight in on this site.

There is no where else I can go to get the opinions of folks who turn pens. And who better to give an opinion worth listening to than a fellow pen turner?

You are entitled and i stand corrected. Hopefully there is enough data for the OP to make a good decision. Continue checking in the site Justin. You have come to the right place. Please ignore my stupid comments. I am going to slip away for some time because I am sensing a very bad trend. I do not want my posts to be any distractions. This is a good place. But the air is getting a little thick. Have a great turning day.

TonyL

Elegant Royale And Executive

The Elegant Royale from Smitty's Pen Works is a nice quality pen that is a shorter single tube pen that will fit pockets and purses easily. It has the bonus of an extra nice refill included. Once you experience the great Schmidt refill, you end up spending the extra bucks to put these in all your pens.

The PSI Executive is a nice pen, and is available in several platings. It has a slightly longer tube single tube than Sierra style - just under 3 inches..

Same for me!

Patriot is my third

Top Bottom