What's wrong with gunmetal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

As not to hijack another info gathering thread...

Lots of people seem to feel as though gunmetal is a cheap plating.

I understand that what gunmetal actually is is a possibly imprecise thing.

But here's the question I have - do you have first hand experience of gunmetal components wearing out?

I once got a gunmetal kit with a plating issue from the factory but otherwise haven't had one problem after making many pens with it.

This is not to question the value of black ti by the way. - which I feel is a great option that I make just as many of.

So, first hand problems?

What I want to ascertain is whether this is an experiential concern or a hypothetical one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I find that the Gunmetal scratches easier than black titanium or gold titanium. Not sure why. That is just my experience.

Cmiles1985

Oops! You're right! Well, my Black TI pen hasn't shown any wear :biggrin:

I don't know that I have any pens with much in the way of gunmetal that I use heavily. I have a GM/Chrome LeRoi in the car. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

I also like the Gunmetal finish a lot.

The ones I have made have held up as good as any other finish I've had experience with.

Bill

greggas

Dan, interesting thread.

It made me think, what actually is gun metal? Is it a type of chrome finish ? Anyone know?

I have had not issues with gun metal other that it sometimes seems to close down the opening for the refill in the tip...nothing that is not fixed with a quick file stroke.

Chasper

I've sold a few thousand pens with gun metal plating. One of them came back for repairs because of damage to the plating; it had scratches that looked like more than normal wear, maybe someone drove over it with a car.

I don't buy into black titanium being more attractive or more durable. Sometimes I wonder if there is a touch of analier than thou going around.

However, not all plating from all sources is the same. It is not out of the question that the gun metal from some sources for some component sets is not as durable as from other sources and other components.

southernclay

I like gun metal just fine. Haven't had anyone ask me about plating types or quality either so not sure the average consumer cares. I feel like they trust me to provide them with a good product which I try to do and don't use certain platings b/c of it. Not to mix up the threads but I don't know of too many kit choices that are available in both GM and black ti. In certain situations like the bolt action, atrax, jr gent if you want that look then you buy what's available not make a choice right?

sbwertz

My purse pen is a gunmetal slim. I've been carrying it around for almost five years and the plating is not showing wear. It rattles around in my purse with keys, nail clippers, etc, and is not scratched or the plating coming off.

SDB777

I've had a few dozen 'gunmetal' finishes go out the door, either as sales or gifts....never had any of them come back for plating issues(just the 'where can I get a refill type questions is all).

Scott (there all cheap kits too) B

bryceprusse

Gun metal on most pens holds up and in fine. I have had troubles with slimlines as the finish wares off and they will tarnish.

monophoto

The CSUSA catalog says that "Chrome and gunmetal are extremely long wearing platings capable of resisting everyday wear and tear". They also assign it a four-star wear resistance rating. It also says that "Titanium plating - - - offers superior wear resistance yet is less expensive that other precious metal platings". They assign the same five-start wear resistance rating to both titanium and rhodium/platinum. Now, in the interest of fair and impartial journalism, I have to report that I have a couple of pens on my desk right now with 24 and 10k gold plating - they've been around for several years and are holding up very well in spite of the CSUSA wear rating of 3 (or 3 1/2) stars.

I happen to like gunmetal. The stylus that I use with my iPod Touch is gunmetal. In terms of appearance, I think it looks just as nice as Black Ti, and far better than chrome. And frankly, I happen to prefer either Black Ti or gunmetal with brownish or amber woods. IMHO, chrome can be tacky (although I made a pen for a friend using chrome fittings on blackwood that I think is pretty classy).

Bottom line: yes, I suspect that there is a difference in the ability to withstand everyday wear. There may also be a difference between manufacturers and manufacturing processes that is harder for us to judge. But I think personal preference is just as big a factor as wear resistance.

Last edited:

Quality Pen

I had a gunmetal bolt pen and used it for demoing. It showed too much wear for my liking. Was it brassed and hideous? No. But it sure disappointed me. I doubt someone less finicky would care.

builtbybill

Personally I am a fan of gunmetal. Have not made enough pens to contribute any information as to is durability over time, but I like the way it looks and it's price point.

plano_harry

I like gunmetal and have sold several. Yes, when I was asked for the second refill, I got a chance to see a PSI bolt that is written with daily. I don't think that pen will be winning me many new orders. I wanted to redo it, but the customer doesn't want to give it up. I probably will get him a loaner and redo it some day.

I worry about the ones that don't come back. People that are disappointed with the durability, probably just write it off and don't buy more pens.

Dan Masshardt

I like gunmetal and have sold several. Yes, when I was asked for the second refill, I got a chance to see a PSI bolt that is written with daily. I don't think that pen will be winning me many new orders. I wanted to redo it, but the customer doesn't want to give it up. I probably will get him a loaner and redo it some day. I worry about the ones that don't come back. People that are disappointed with the durability, probably just write it off and don't buy more pens.

I bet 8 out if 10 people do not use a bolt action daily. At least bit intensively I've sold many that I know are more like display pieces.

If you ever get it back, I think many of us would like to see a shot of it - perhaps next to a new kit.

OKLAHOMAN

Sale ability

I will not argue the ware ability of Gun Metal Vs. Black Ti. My objection to Gun Metal is in marketing it. When talking to a customer what in your opinion sounds better and will garner the sale better.
Sir/Madam this pen is plated in Gun Metal and will last with normal use a lifetime. Customer is thinking "sounds good but what the heck is gun metal I thought it was a color of paint and will it really last or is he just trying to sell it to me?"
Or​
Sir/Madam this pen is plated with jewelry grade Black Titanium and with normal use will last a lifetime. Customer is now thinking." WOW Black Titanium, I've heard that Titanium is used in the space shuttle. This artist uses good quality material"

So my cost might be 2-3 dollars more but my sales quantity even with an increase in price more than makes up for it and I'm looked at as a quality artist/craftsman.
I'm not knocking Gun Metal as it has it's place but just not in better selling venues.
My story and I'm sticking to it.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Joey-Nieves

Dan:
I make about 300 gm metal pens a year and have not one worn out turned back. I do,how ever had a problem with the PSI slim line GM clip. Th last 100 pens I bought for Xmas rush about 15% of the clips broke on them. Called PSI and they sent me new clips but the Clients weren't happy
Now there are some Caped kits the can scratch the finish, PSI CLasic all, I solved the problem by cleaning and buffing all the center band parts, apparently the plastic part of the center band is left with a sharp edge and causes the scratching.

Last edited:

walshjp17

I have no problem with the durability of gun metal finishes. In fact, I find the finishes on most GM to be one of the toughest. What I don't like about GM is, basically, the color. I find it tough to match to most timbers and only certain acrylics will work with it. It is fine for antler and bone, but beyond that, not a big fan.

The opinions expressed above are sticky my own and do not represent the opinions of the entire household. So there!:wink::wink:

Top Bottom