What's up with this finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

I started a thread about a week ago that a customer had called and said that the upgrade gold was wearing off. I had no idea it was this bad until I saw it today. Almost all the gold is gone except on the very tip. I sold it in may. I'm assuming this guy's chemical makeup is causing this? I ordered a titanium gold kit to replace it with.

2007828211212_DSC01268.jpg

2007828211224_DSC01270.jpg

2007828211236_DSC01271.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

guts

Steve,never seen anything like that so don't know what to tell ya Bud but the closeup of the nib almost looks like it was sanded or steelwooled.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Yah, that looks like physical wear to me. Why/how would his hand touch the top of the finial to so thoroughly remove all the metal. Very odd indeed.
If it were purely from usage you would expect specific areas to be worn where he hands actually touch, not a universal wear pattern.

GK

leehljp

Member Liaison
Although there is probably nothing you can do about it except replace it with the TI Gold, I would ask him about his work environment specific to where he works with his pen. That looks like combination of chemical and abrasive wear.

low_48

It does look like abrasive wear, but the plastic above it is very high gloss. Doesn't look like anything has touched the plastic and the little rim of the nib next to it. Maybe that is the metal finish under the precious metal?

Stevej72

This guy is a financial advisor, but I'm not sure what he does after work. It does look like abrasive wear but the black and the environ this is finished in CA looks like it did when it was new.

arioux

Hi,

Used one like this (Well is was an upgrade gold Atlas) with my denim shirt with a flap pocket (hope you see what i mean).
The denim is pretty bad for cheap plating and the flap took care of the finial[V]. If he carry the pen in the inside pocket of his suit you could probably get the same result. They should ban those upgrade gold, 10k ans 24k plating.

Alfred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom