whats the size of a A mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jay_bobo

I have a mandrel it came with my lathe but i didnt say if it was A or B size do you know in inches what the size of a A size mandrel? thanks for the help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

We call them 7mm but they actually measure close to 6.2mm which is .24409. We also say they are 1/4 inch or .250 but they are actually a little smaller. Not trying to argue but give accurate information…since you ask for the mandrel's measurement. If you are purchasing a new one then, yes, purchase a 7mm mandrel which is how they are advertised. Some call them the "A" mandrel.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have a mandrel it came with my lathe but i didnt say if it was A or B size do you know in inches what the size of a A size mandrel? thanks for the help!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
7mm rod. It's the most common for bushings to slide onto

It is actually NOT 7 mm.

One of the common misnomers is using the size of the hole we drill to identify everything that goes with it. When you are drilling a 7 mm hole (.2756") and inserting a "7 mm tube" (OD=.2655", ID=.2455" ish) and it goes on an "A" mandrel, which Don says is .24409 (sounds right to me!!).

The difference between the mandrel OD and the 7 mm hole is significant (11.5 percent)

Wow, I am slowing down---2 guys post while I typed!!!

Last edited:

zig613

so what is the difference between an "A" and a "B" mandrel?

The "B" mandrel is slightly larger. Here are the details from Arizona Silhouette's website.

"...95% of the pen kit manufacturers us an "A" or 7mm mandrel which is really 6.2mm in diameter. "B" mandrels are referred to as 8mm mandrels but are really 7.2mm in diameter. These are used for the larger pens such as the Cambridge, Churchill, El Grande and others. They use the "B" mandrel because it is more stable and will have a tendency not to flex as much as an "A" mandrel can."

Wade

Top Bottom