What's the problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Recently, every time I try to put a gel refill into a pen (cigar or perfect fit), it will not extend.

I then ream out the pen tip until I make it operate properly.

HOWEVER, it has occurred to me that this was NOT necessary in the past. So, I am looking to see what everyone else's experiences have been.

I am pretty sure I am using CSUSA's Gel refill. And, this past weekend, I even had to "adapt" the chrome cigar and perfect fits!!

So, it is NOT just the Titanium plating.

Does anyone use a different gel refill without this problem?
Has anyone tried Parker BRAND refills, either gel or other?

All pertinent experiences will be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Parker brand gels are slightly larger and require reaming. However, I've never experienced that problem with CSUSA's gels.

That said, when a customer requests a gel, I ask them to try the regular ballpoint first. Then switch it for the gel and have them test it. Nine times out of ten, they will ask for the regular ballpoint to be reinstalled.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks, Stan.

The ones I have (a couple hundred) ALL seem to have problems. That's why I am looking for feedback. If it turns out they are "out of spec", I am pretty sure CSUSA will happily solve the problem. First, I want to IDENTIFY the problem.

So, I appreciate all help!

Paul in OKC

I have done a BUNCH of the flat top American style pens. When I switched to mostly chrome kits, I had that problem occassionally with the regular refill that came with the kit. Had to ream them out.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />Measure the diameter of the tip of a regular refill and one of the gels to see if they are different sizes.

You'll be glad to know, I did that. They ARE different sizes. Now, if I were a real SMART guy, I'd go buy a few other possibilities and measure THEM!!!

But, that still would NOT tell me if everyone using CSUSA has this problem or if I got a bad batch.[:D][:D][:D]

Pikebite

I have had some problems with Jr Gent and Jr Statesman rollerball tips. I contacted CSUSA and they say they have problems with several kits and they have contacted their supplier.

They are replacing my problem tips as we speak with no problems. They do have great customer service!

Richard

SteveRoberts

Ed, I don't use the gells, I use the parker suitable rollers from Swisher pens, MUCH better, the Schmidt is worth the $.

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Recently, every time I try to put a gel refill into a pen (cigar or perfect fit), it will not extend.

I then ream out the pen tip until I make it operate properly.

HOWEVER, it has occurred to me that this was NOT necessary in the past. So, I am looking to see what everyone else's experiences have been.

I am pretty sure I am using CSUSA's Gel refill. And, this past weekend, I even had to "adapt" the chrome cigar and perfect fits!!

So, it is NOT just the Titanium plating.

Does anyone use a different gel refill without this problem?
Has anyone tried Parker BRAND refills, either gel or other?

All pertinent experiences will be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Randy_

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />.....You'll be glad to know, I did that. They ARE different sizes.

Ed: What sort of sizes are you measuring? The Parker brand refill will measure exactly 0.10".....gel or BP. If your refills are less than that the refills are probably OK and the problem is with the kit pen tip. I always check my finished kits with a real Parker refill to make sure it will work as customers are most likely to be using the brand refill rather than a generic when they need a new refill. A #38 drill bit will give you the correct size hole for a true Parker refill.

I'm guessing you got some kits with extra thick plating??

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I don't have any experience with the CS USA refill, but I have contacted Sanford (parent company of Parker) about their ballpoint and gell refills. Here is their response from BAINES, Martin [Martin.BAINES@sanford.com]

Dear Mr. Medcalf

Your enquiry came through to me.

Both the ballpoint & gel refill should have the same point diameter.
However there has been a small change which happened last year. Prior to last year the diameter was 2.56mm and now it is 2.50mm

Best regards

Martin Baines

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 9:30 AM
To: BAINES, Martin
Subject: FW: Contact Us Message

Hi Martin

Can you help this customer please.

thank you

Pam

Sent: 21 November 2006 08:57
To: SERVICE, Aftersales
Subject: FW: Contact Us Message

Sent: 20 November 2006 21:34
To: SALES, B2B
Subject: Contact Us Message

Name: Lou Metcalf

I make custom pens an quite often outfit them with your ballpoint and/or
gel refills. I notice that the gels sometimes do not fit through the
nib, so I carefully ream the hole out a bit. I was wondering if you
could tell me what the point measurements are for the ballpoint and gel
refills. If they are identical, that would also be helpfu to know.

mewell

I've noticed on Jr. Gents that I need to "enlarge" the hole by "swirling" a straight dental pick that is tapered toward the handle. I've actually managed to pull apart a cartridge just above the roller ball a couple of times before I started checking the fit from the outside in.?!

Mark

Randy_

Lou: That's very interesting information!! Thanks.

For the metrically challenged, 2.56mm is equal to 0.1008"±. The new size, 2.5mm, is equal to 0.0984"± which is more in line with the sizes I found when measuring the various generic refills. It is on the high side, IIRC, as some of the cartridge tips were even a couple of thousandths smaller. Could have been a QC problem as 2.5mm is a nice round number and one might reasonably assume that size was the standard in other parts of the world; but I have no way of knowing for sure. In any event, it is now very easy for anyone to determine if the refill or the pen tip is the problem.

Lou's post raises another interesting question...at least interesting to me. Wonder why Parker decided to change the size to their cartridge tips??

And another implication of the new information: In the past it has been a standard recommendation to use a #38 drill bit to ream out the holes of pen tips that were a tight fit. For those that prefer a very close fit, it looks like you might want to switch to a #39 drill bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom