What's the next step up?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bugmerc

I have been away from pens for a while, been busy with other projects. It's that season again though and I have some pen orders.

I mostly make Wall Street II style pens, partly because I have a Woodcraft store very close, and I like them.

My question, without trying to sound rude, is, what is a little higher in quality for the money? I consider the Wall Street II to be "hobbyist" grade, maybe I'm wrong. I know there are a lot of different manufacturers of kits and the prices can go quite high. I'm not looking for super high grade, just maybe the next step or two up.

Maybe some of you guys with experience with the different brands will tell me for the money the WS II's can't be beat. I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks for your input!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

There are hundreds of pen kits. Almost every company has a variation of the Sierra WS2.

Which one are you making from woodcraft? They can vary in price from $6 to almost $30 I think for a kit.

I make hardly any of the reg WS 2 but really like the elegant variation.

In that same broad style of single tube ballpoints, check out the aero from craftsupplies. It and may of the Sierra versions are offered at exoticblanks too.

Also Smitty's has his version of the Sierra.

Finally, check out the stainless steel liberty kit at woodcraft. Not cheap but nice.

Bugmerc

Thanks for the reply Dan, I make a lot of the version with the stylus on the back. It's about $9.50 in chrome.

So, these other ones you mentioned, are they higher quality? Better mechanism, finish, or are they all the same, just come from a different seller?

Dan Masshardt

If you need the stylus, it limits your options.

The elegant wall street 2 / Sierra is same trans I believe but has no plastic on it - visible anyway. Two tone metal plating. I sometimes think the amount of plastic on the reg walll street / Sierra is too much.

The aero is a different manufacturer. Its actually a little shorter. The quality is high. I consider it a very classy pen.

The liberty is not plated - it's solid stainless steel machined. Very high quality as well IMO and made in USA.

Top Bottom