What's in a name

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oakham

Hello,
I'm not sure if I've posted this in the correct section or not, but here goes.
Earlier today a friend asked me what a pen maker is called, any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I think pen making can be but is not necessarily art

As far as self understanding, I would consider myself a craftsman I'm regard to these things.

If we want to use the term art, I prefer artisan to artist. But again, this is for myself.

I am totally comfortable with you calling yourself an artist.

CrimsonKeel

I think pen making can be but is not necessarily art

As far as self understanding, I would consider myself a craftsman I'm regard to these things.

If we want to use the term art, I prefer artisan to artist. But again, this is for myself.

I am totally comfortable with you calling yourself an artist.

Im going with you and saying craftsman.

avbill

my business cards says

"Master Craftsman"

I've only one customer ask me How were you selected a master;

I answered i studied under a craftsman and one day years later he told me I had reach being at the level of a master at my trade.

Customer Asked no more question just bought one of the writing instruments.

Enjoy today because tomorrow is in the future

I have to agree on the broke as a descriptor, but I think a artisan is a good description of skill levels but there are truly some on this forum that are true ARTIST. I am a work in progress and should be called determined to become a artisan one day. I think the artist person has skills that practice can not develop. They are creative and don't mind working on one pen for 100 hours for that special pen.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Anything but late for dinner.

For most, pen turner/assembler would be descriptive. Since what they do is turn the barrels and assemble the kit.

Other's get much more involved....

southernclay

pen turner works, I do a few other things than pens so I like craftsman. I saw on here a while back a turner's shop can be called a turnery, kinda liked that. So maybe we're pen turnerers?

Smitty, that's offensive I am much more than a pen assembler, I have to let the components and blanks speak to me to know which ones belong together....I'm a pen designer or pen matchmaker :biggrin:

kovalcik

I think the label depends on how you approach pen making.
I consider myself a woodworker who is also a wood turner who makes pens. For me, pen making is part of my broader hobbies of woodworking and wood turning (even if not all my pens are wood). For others the creation of a pen is the main focus of their hobby, so I imagine they label themselves differently.

As far as the artist/craftsman debate, while I admit there is an element of art in everything I make and occasionally I make things that are meant solely as show pieces, usually my primary goal when making a project is with the fit and function of the piece. I have no real interest in making a beautiful pen if you cannot write comfortably with it. In my mind, this puts me more in the craftsman camp as opposed to artist. I take the same approach whether I am making a pen, a bowl, or a cabinet. YMMV and I have no problem if other pen makers prefer the artist label.

JohnGreco

This is one where it really depends on what you feel most comfortable with. For example, "Artist" has several distinct definitions, one of which is "A person whose work exhibits exceptional skill." I think that applies to many people who probably wouldn't label themselves as artists.

Then there is "Craftsman", with a definition of "A person who practices or is highly skilled in a craft; an artisan." Interestingly it then lists "Artist" as an alternate name.

And lastly (?) there is "Artisan", defined as "A person skilled in an applied art; a craftsperson." Or, "A person or company that makes a high-quality or distinctive product in small quantities, usually by hand or using traditional methods."

So it seems to me any of these 3 could be used, it's just a matter of what you are comfortable with. I personally prefer artisan penmaker.

oakham

Thanks for the input everyone. While I like both artisan and craftsman, I was wondering if there was an official title for pen maker, like a Fletcher makes arrows.

mick

I consider myself a craftsman, but on the show circuit I do several are art shows. Of these the name tag included in my packet will sometime say__________ ,Artist so who am I to argue with the promoter ?de0a. At most since I'm a regular my customers just look for the Pen Guy. Funny story, PEN GUY is my truck tag. At one show, some attendees parked next to my truck and noticed my tag. I happened to be getting out at the same time and they asked me if I'd been in prison. With a straight face I replied " yes ma'am" and walked away. They passed my booth several times that day making sure they were as far across the aisle as possible. You can't make this stuff up! ?de01

Sent from my HTC One

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

Well, if a person that repairs or grinds nibs is a nibmeister, should the official title be "penmeister"? I think I may go with it!

Sylvanite

"Birologist"? Well, maybe if you study ball-point pens. "Pennatornator"? Literally from the Latin words for pen (quill) and turner. If you make pens and give them away, would that make you a "penefactor"?

Or one could just stick with "penturner". After all, it's right there in the site name.

:biggrin:
Eric

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I like it. I am going to use it. Thank you!

I call myself a pengineer!
I need to smile at this one. I was an engineer and trust me on this making pens is not engineering, even for the designers.....On the other hand I do think you (Brandon) told me you work for IBM and I do know a little something about IBM and IBMers.

Top Bottom