What's a good pen to make for Father's Day?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would like to make my dad a pen for Father's Day but am unsure of what he would like. He really enjoys using ultra fine point pens. Even finer than roller balls. Are there any pen kits that anyone can recommend? I'm going to be going to Woodcraft to get it since I can't wait for one to be shipped.

The obvious choice would be a bolt action pen with a camo acrylic blank. But those are all just ball point.

He's been working with his hands for as long as I've known, doing mostly woodworking and carpentry. He was in the Army. He has enjoyed fishing. He's also a retired pastor of over 30 years.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think I'm going to use this pen kit. It's the wrench click pen in pewter. I might have to pick up some olive wood.
144d2d557a61cc53a596ec1dc748b476.jpg

gtriever

I know it's "just a ballpoint", but I just turned a pen for my pastor brother-in-law that he's proud of; it's a Sierra using Kallenshaan Woods' Cross Inlay pen blank. Simple yet good-looking.

MTViper

Woodcraft carries a short acrylic blank that looks like stained glass and has a cross embedded in it. It fits nicely on most single barrel pens, but it's made mainly for the Wall Street (Sierra) style pen. I carry one and made one for my pastor a few years ago. You can go to most office supply stores and buy fine point Parker style refills.

I ended up buying the wrench click pen and have some striped ebony that I'm going to use with it. I may try and buy a fine point refill to go in it, if they're available.

So an update on the Wrench click pen. I ran into multiple problems making and turning it.

The first attempt, I ended up cutting the blank too short when trimming it to flush up the tube and blank. So I went to get some replacement tubes. I drilled out the second and last ebony blank and went to ca glue the tube in and it either got stuck going in or the ca set up before I could get the tube all the way in.

So I made up two more blanks. One was a weird species that I really didn't know how it was going to turn out. It was a darker species which was what I was going for. I think it was called Lyche. It tore out at the end. Probably was due to impatience and not having a sharp tool. The second one was made from Beli wood which is something I've used with a few cigar pens and had great success. No issues with the turning or finishing.

So I go to assemble the pen and I get to the last step. I followed the instructions to a T. The pen kit must've been cheaply made or defective. But the click mechanism was a piece of crap. I went to thread the very top of the click tip onto the click mechanism. It said not to over tighten it. Which I didn't. I go to click it and the refill is about 1/8" too far out. There was no adjustment anywhere. I'm confident that the tubes were the correct length and that I didn't trim them too short. I've never had this much trouble turning one pen. Needless to say, I won't be buying that pen kit anymore. I wasted about $20 and two days worth of my time. I'm ending up giving my dad an ebony cigar pen that I already had made. I'm sure he'll like it just as well.

This makes me not want to buy anymore kits from Woodcraft and especially ones that don't have any reviews on them.

Last edited:
I made the Wrench pen and found it to be the most uncomfortable pen to write with. The sharp edges at the end are not a good idea.
Yeah. I wasn't at all happy with the quality of it. Even if the click mechanism hadn't broken, I probably wouldn't have been comfortable with giving it to my dad or anyone. It didn't feel very well built or durable.

Woodchipper

Bringing this to the top. My grandson built the wrench pen for his father in February. We had some problems but my wife and I can't remember what they were! Same thing as mentioned- the point sticks out about 1-2 mm and the click mechanism won't work. I called Woodcraft and talked to a friend and fellow wood turner there. He made some suggestions but hadn't made that particular pen kit so he wasn't real familiar with it. I have it in my van and will, at his suggestion, take it by the store to see if it can be fixed or they can replace it. Hate to lose the blank as it is a real nice piece of wood. As for Woodcraft, our store in Chattanooga, has been real good about answering questions regarding woodturning and woodworking. IMHO, they are a great bunch of folks!
Edit- This is the only pen from WC that I had any trouble with in assembling. I have done several Slimline pens and other novelty pens and never had any trouble. Substituting a cartridge pen for this particular pen.
BTW, that is the pen in the avatar. My grandson picked arbor vita for the wood. Like drilling tool steel!

Last edited:

wouldentu2?

I think I'm going to use this pen kit. It's the wrench click pen in pewter. I might have to pick up some olive wood.
144d2d557a61cc53a596ec1dc748b476.jpg

Being a mechanic I made that pen, and found the sharp edges at the base made it the most uncomfortable pen to write with. Go with one of the longwood style pens they show a lot of wood.

Top Bottom