what's a burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hughbie

ok, time for me to ask a beginner's question. where does a 'burl' come from. is it the area where all the roots come together? is it a 'tumor'.......i don't know.
please kind people.....enlighten this newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
This is a really hard ? to answer, as science is not know all the reasons why. It is a mass of new buds that never really do anything, but pile up on top of each other to make amoazing grain patterns. Its cuased by many thing, from everything I've read the just can't really pin point it. Adventous buds can lie dormant for many years before being called upon in time of need(some type of big stress on the tree, lost large limb in storm for example) I think this is why we see trees that send out adventous buds are the ones making all the burls. As pine, and such hardly ever make burls ( oaks are middle of the road so they will sometimes make burls, maples one of the easiest to send out adventous buds is the tree that make the most burls) not sure what the link is but there must be one. Not sure if I have helped or made it more confusing for you, They are the pearl of the woods, Victor

its_virgil

I took this picture in July on a street in Paris (France, not Texas). Sure wish I'd had a chainsaw, but they took it from me at the airport...now what could I've done with a chainsaw on a plane?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

2007820222531_dons%20spain%20burl.jpg

Originally posted by hughbieok, time for me to ask a beginner's question. where does a 'burl' come from. is it the area where all the roots come together? is it a 'tumor'.......i don't know.
please kind people.....enlighten this newbie

hughbie

i've seen many a burl on pens and such....and they are beautiful. i don't have any yet in my small collection but looking forward to sinkin my 'teeth' into some someday

thanks guys/gals. ya'll are great!

IPD_Mrs

Here is one for you....

Most of the burl photos you can find that are still part of the tree are basically roundish and somewhat smooth. When I see amboyna turning stock the top edge looks like stalagtites (sp?) for a lack of better description. Why? Do these grow underground or differently?

its_virgil

Those sharp points, or stalagtites as you call them, are under the bark. Remove the bark and those sharp (ouch) points are revealed....at least on most of the ones I've seen or had.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking
<br />Here is one for you....

Most of the burl photos you can find that are still part of the tree are basically roundish and somewhat smooth. When I see amboyna turning stock the top edge looks like stalagtites (sp?) for a lack of better description. Why? Do these grow underground or differently?

les-smith

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Those sharp points, or stalagtites as you call them, are under the bark. Remove the bark and those sharp (ouch) points are revealed....at least on most of the ones I've seen or had.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Wow! I didn't know that. I've always bought them as blanks. Still have lots to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom