What's this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

scan0006.jpg

I glued up this blank last night and I'm about ready to drill and turn it but I'd really like to know what kind of wood it is. I've included a couple of the X-cut cut-offs so you can see what the end grain looks like.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobskio2003

Pictures are tough to tell for sure but it looks like some sort of palm (either Black or Toddy) although these usually have more streaks than your piece. Bob I.

redfishsc

I does look like a palm of some sort, though it looks rather old or degraded a bit (based on the color). Is the material soft and spongy like balsa or hard?

jtate

It's solid and pretty hard. Not like balsa at all. More like walnut - kind of easily splintered but still quite hard. It did need some serious sanding-sealing (with CA). Whne I get my digital camera back I'll post a picture of the pen. It turned out mush darker than the icture here would indicate.

jtate

I bought the blank and it was already square. I cut the blank for segmenting with a miter box and a dozuki hand saw. These flexible Japanese handsaws give a nice, thin cut with very fine flat sides. I just clamp the blank in place in the miter box and saw away. I glue with CA and hold it in place with my fingers till it sets/ I trim by hand with a pocket knife and maybe sand the edges flat so I can turn it and cut the other side.

This is a really nice pen now. I can't wait till I get my digital camera back so I can share the picture!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom