What are your favorite Acrylic/Resin blanks..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

I'm curious what everyones top five or ten acrylic, lucite, or celluloid pen blanks are. Not to include home brew stuff, because I'm not setup to make my own. Tell us where you bought them at so maybe we can purchase some of your favorites.

I've only got three right now:

Lava Flow: CSUSA
Blue Carribean: CSUSA
Alternative Ivory: CSUSA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

1) homebrew
2) black lucite
3) chocolate mint lucite
4) blue/black lucite
5) the red/black swirl and white flake acrylics from Martin at Woodbin

Sorry...HAD to add #1! [:D]

Lucites are all from Pipemaker's Emporium.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Les,

Look at the acrylics offered by Beartoothwoods.com, ArizonaSilhouette.com, pipemakers.org and others. Try and see what you like. All of them require the mandatory sharp tools, light cuts, or you will have pieces of acrylic flying around the shop.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Christmas list:

<s>Cav</s>

Edit in later:
BECCA

still later
JimGo (made a reasonable attempt at a save)
RedS (it's PEN potion #9, but that can certainly be overlooked)

Please don't think I am trying to influence the members' votes!!!

wudnhed

Ed's: Cheetah - Cammo - Gray and white pearl.

AS: Black ice - Gray black pearl - Liquid smoke - Swirly black & mother of pearl.

Woodturningz: Bronze & gold - Molten metal - Bronze & violet.

These are the only acrylics I have tried so far and all turned out really nice.

Firefyter-emt

I really like the crushed velvet blanks.

Although I have one of Ed's "mother earth" blanks going on a Gent this weekend, I am hopefull it looks as good as the one on the AZ site!

JimGo

Ed, if you'just send me some of your blanks, I'd be happy to recommend them! [:D] I haven't bought any acrylics in a while, but I've got you at the top of my list for my next buy!

wdcav1952

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Christmas list:

<s>Cav</s>

Edit in later:
BECCA

still later
JimGo (made a reasonable attempt at a save)
RedS (it's PEN potion #9, but that can certainly be overlooked)

Please don't think I am trying to influence the members' votes!!!

Ed,

I am mortified, and some other words I can neither spell nor pronounce! The young person said he had little experience with acrylic. Blanks such as Dawn makes, and you shamelessly claim credit for, are meant to be savored like a fine wine. (No, not the screwtop ones.) For a mere novice to place a skew to one of Dawn's blanks is like having a paint-by-numbers painter attempt to reproduce the Mona Lisa. I simply meant that he should learn on those sad commercial blanks before moving on and upward to the nirvana of Dawn's blanks.

My humble apologies, my cheesehead friend.

(Now am I back on the #$@%^$ list?)

redbulldog

When I started several years a go to work on opal, It was told to me by one of the premier opal dealers that if you really want to learn how to do some things,(Opal cutting, using good blanks) to start with the good things or the best you can afford and you will learn quicker, because you are more careful while you are learning. Now you know why I started with Dawn's potion #9, plus it was what a customer wanted. I will say that it was a dream to turn.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Red, but converting the unbelieving and "oft astray-walking" (Cav) is a long and thankless job

(However, feel free to keep trying!!!!!!!)[:p][:p]

mdburn_em

I'm partial to the Pink Mica Swirl from PSI. It's popular here partly because I donate 2/3 of the sale to the local WABC.
I'm working my way up to Ed's stuff.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Les,

On a serious note, Beartoothwoods is adding some really cool patterns and I agree with Cav's original post, except I would add CSUSA also has some that are pretty cool and I think they are different from the other sites mentioned.

Oh, did I mention I sell some imported patterns???

wdcav1952

200712013556_Italian%20Resin%20Churchill.jpg
<br />

Oops, and oh golly gee! I slipped on the keyboard and accidentally posted a picture of one of Ed's amazing, imported, reasonably priced Italian resin blanks. I don't know how to delete an accidental post, so I hope no one minds my error. [:I]

(Something cheesy?????)

gerryr

I think I may have to get some of that stuff from Ed and make a couple of Churchills. That is a great looking pen, truly retro and cool.

wudwrkr

I really like the Lava Flow and Blue Hawaii blanks from woodpenpro.com. Also the caribbean swirl from CSUSA. They turn a lot easier than the woodturningz acrylics. Although the woodturningz blanks come out nice too!

I've got a couple of Ed's cat blanks I have been dying to try. I guess I'm going to have get them on the lathe!

les-smith

Originally posted by wudwrkr
<br />I really like the Lava Flow and Blue Hawaii blanks from woodpenpro.com. Also the caribbean swirl from CSUSA.

Yeah, those are three really sweet types of blanks also. That's kind of what I'm looking for, the type people like the best and the ones they think sell the best. I've seen Ed's at AA, but I'm wondering if he has other syles available. I e-mailed him. How about Dawn's stuff. How do I see what may be available there?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Les,

To further add to the confusion I started (sorry, but the opportunity to pick on Cav is always difficult to pass up).

There is Ed Davidson (Yo-Yo Spin) who sells to Arizona Sihouette. Then there is Ed Brown (ed4copies)-that's me. My "other half" is Dawn. She does stained glass and pours polyresin. She has not started doing two-color, so the blanks we have are different from Ed Davidson, who makes nice blanks also, just not the same. And, when we have created blanks like Ed's they have been just for MY use, we have not sold them.

So, I hope this clears up SOME confusion. Those who have seen Cav's several posts of my material realize that Cav turns an awfully nice pen!!!! The imported resins are fairly easy to turn (same difficulty as CSUSA "celluloid"). In the next 30 days or so, we hope to offer Dawn's PR to this group. As always, I try to obey the strictest interpretation of the rules (and at that I sometimes fail), so I post no pricing here, just e-mail me.

edit: I should also add that DCBluesman, Angboy, Waynes and Penworks have also posted pens from material I provide. (My apoligies, in advance to anyone I have forgotten about!!! This type of post is ALWAYS dangerous!)

Hope this clears things up some.[:)][:)][:)]

wdcav1952

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Les,

To further add to the confusion I started (sorry, but the opportunity to pick on Cav is always difficult to pass up).

There is Ed Davidson (Yo-Yo Spin) who sells to Arizona Sihouette. Then there is Ed Brown (ed4copies)-that's me. My "other half" is Dawn. She does stained glass and pours polyresin. She has not started doing two-color, so the blanks we have are different from Ed Davidson, who makes nice blanks also, just not the same. And, when we have created blanks like Ed's they have been just for MY use, we have not sold them.

So, I hope this clears up SOME confusion. Those who have seen Cav's several posts of my material realize that Cav turns an awfully nice pen!!!! The imported resins are fairly easy to turn (same difficulty as CSUSA "celluloid"). In the next 30 days or so, we hope to offer Dawn's PR to this group. As always, I try to obey the strictest interpretation of the rules (and at that I sometimes fail), so I post no pricing here, just e-mail me.

edit: I should also add that DCBluesman, Angboy, Waynes and Penworks have also posted pens from material I provide. (My apoligies, in advance to anyone I have forgotten about!!! This type of post is ALWAYS dangerous!)

Hope this clears things up some.[:)][:)][:)]

You were picking on me?!?!?!?!? [:0][:0][:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom