What are you selling and how?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

I have an interest in the marketing end of pens as to what people are selling and how they are marketing them. We have been dabbling for about a year but seem to have found a groove that keeps us busy enough.

Would be interested to hear what kits you have moved in the last thirty days and how. Shows? Word of mouth? Retail stores? Friends? Etc.

We do not do shows or events just niche marketing on a small basis as my 15 yr old son does most of the turning and I help with the marketing. We both have limited time as it is only a hobby. We find what we think is wood of interest to a group and then tell them our story about it.

In the last 30 days we have moved about 24 cigar pens and 3 Wall Streets. We like the nicer platings. The cigars were a larger order then a follow up order of more. Still have to turn five of the cigars but the order is there. We are going to back off for a bit because of holiday, family, and school. But we have a potential thirty pen triton or Wall Street order that is nibbling at the bait.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

Pre-holiday is the number one time to sell pens. Business always slows down after Christmas.

I looked at your website. You have some really sweet pens there.

I am sure what you say is true. We have not been through a full years cycle so we have a lot to learn. I don't think any of our sales have been holiday related yet.

Last edited:

turncrazy43

We do craft shows in the fall (Oct-Dec).We do school and church craft shows and have been successful at it for a number of years. We are generally the only pen turners at the shows which helps us.

We sell a broad range of types of pens as well as sewing related items and bottle stoppers. We do wood, acrylics and deer antler blanks. We also pour some of our own Blanks in acrylic.

Craft shows have a limited price point as compared to an arts show.

Best of luck with your enterprise.

Turncrazy43

magpens

30 Caliber Bolt Action pens have been good sellers for me ... burl and/or antler; some with acrylic.

csr67

30 caliber bolt actions sell very well. I don't advertise, just word of mouth and referrals from happy buyers. Gearshift pens in carbon fiber also sell very well if you find a group of car nuts.

I do mostly "art" shows, but not too many. I like the mix I usually see at those type of shows and that I'm not always at the high end of the prices like I did at "craft" shows. I started out (about 10 years ago) selling mostly pens and a couple other things like keychains. I still do pens and I like doing them, but they aren't big sellers. They get a lot of looks and a lot of "ooohs" and "ahhhhhs" but at a good show I'll sell, maybe, 10 pens. Best seller is the PSI Vertex, hands down. Followed by the Sierra/Gatsby/etc. I also make $5 pen boxes that people seem to like. Things on my table now (in addition to pens) are keychains, ice cream scoops, pizza cutters, bottle stoppers, seam rippers, and salt & pepper grinders. What people buy varies big time from show to show. One week they'll love grinders, the next is keychain week.

In the last couple years I've been turning bowls and they've become quite popular. This year I added platters which do ok, too. I really like turning these items and since I normally turn "found" green wood (free) I can make a buck on a decent size bowl, esp if I don't value my labor too much. :biggrin:

Bottom line is that I believe it's necessary to offer a variety of items in a variety of price ranges.

CTolbert

Deer antlers

I am new at penturning but almost all of my sales have been deer antler and word of mouth sales. I have only made slimline, mostly Comfort pens without the rubber grip, and bolt action pens. It looks like the bolt action pens are going to be the best sellers. I get my supplies from PSI.

Larryreitz

I completely agree with what Turncrazy 43 said. During the summer I sell photographic prints on canvas and do quite well at art shows, with entry fees ranging from $200 to $6oo. By the time October rolls around People simply are not interested in larger "wall hangers". They are looking for gifts and I have to reiterate Turncrazy's point about craft shows in high school gym or church basement venues not supporting a terribly high price tag. I am not ready to compete with pens in the larger , high end shows, and, at my age, am not sure I want to. I look at a nicely done (but not spectacular) ProX pen that can sell on Etsy for $125. At $45 I am probably over priced in the small craft show market. Nevertheless, I like to turn pens and the physical effort to haul them around is a small fraction of the effort required for photos on canvas, so I keep going.

A more direct answer to your question:
Bolt action at $35, Cigars at $35-40, Slimline at $15-20, Cabalero's and Vertex at $40 and Euro's at $20-25. The one I do not seem to move as much as others are the Sierras and continued to be puzzled as to why.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Larry

pshrynk

My wife owns an art gallery and part of the reason she wants me to get into this is that she wants pens for a mid-price-point item to offer. So, once I've developed some level of proficiency, I might be able to sell some things. My biggest concern, however, it that PSI seems to be so concentrated on weaponry these days. Revolvers and guns and tanks and bullets... Sort of not what I'm into, really. I hope that the market is bigger than that.

Woodchipper

I just sold two more- lever action and bolt action pens. Keep in mind this is a group that are hunters, shooters, outdoorsy folks.

Fish30114

Well first comment that comes to mind is that you need to build pens to suit the buyers you'll be selling to. 2nd, I have bought some (few) items from PSI, but Ed and Dawn at Exotic blanks carry anything worth a darn that PSI has--they actually buy them from PSI, but sell them for a better price than PSI! Ed is highly knowledgeable and has a superior web site--I would look at using them for a vendor. Good luck to you!

Beautys_Beast

First, I can't emphasize what Fish30114 said. There is not much PSI sells, that Ed and Dawn don't carry, and Ed and Dawn are less expensive, and absolutely fabulous to their customers. Not to mention the M&M's. PSI never sent me M&Ms.

I am a railroad conductor working on a passenger train that runs in and out of Chicago. I am around people all the time. I don't necessarily "Sell" my pens, but as I have gotten to know my passengers over the years, when my hobby comes up, they are interested. Other Conductors, and Engineers that I work with have purchased pens as well.

Last year, I had an order of 60 European designer pens for a passenger who gave them out as gifts on a business deal he was closing. That has turned into another order, from one of his clients, for 35 pens, for Christmas, for their clients. Nothing like turning the same pen, 100 times. But it pays for me to turn other pens that I give away, or sell. ETC.

I have a small catalog I made, 10 of my most common pens. I am able to email it out when I get a call or email concerning orders, or when someone wants to know what kind of other pens I make. It lists prices, the added price for engraving, finishes the pens come in, and style. (Rollerball, Fountain, or BallPoint) Complete with pictures of each. I also always have my pen case with me.

I'm guessing all in, I have sold around Eight thousand dollars worth of pens this year. Not bad for a weekend hobby, but nothing you could live on.

Next year I plan to do a few holiday craft shows. I was to busy this year to build up enough inventory.

lathe monkey

I'm selling mostly serria pens and key chains. I also make other things like lanterns, benches, birds, and more, sell at craft shows and word of mouth, and sometimes of face book, I also sell popcorn, slushies, and mini donuts. I'm building a concession cart to tow behind our rv. We can do all kinds of events from outdoor at flee markets to indoor craft sales.
lathe monkey

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for mentioning us, guys!!!!

Yes we are an authorized reseller for PSI, CSUSA, Berea and Dayacom. I believe we are the only one in the world who sells all of them and combines most for quantity discount.

Also ship faster than most of the big guys!

And, yes, if you listen to my advice you WILL sell more, almost fifty years of sales experience--20 selling and making pens--is also rarely matched in one person among the alternative suppliers. (I can think of two, who are still alive!)

We'd love to be YOUR go-to source!!

Last edited:

donstephan

Pshrynk

Take a look at the offerings at Berea Hardwoods. And if you would be selling at an art gallery you might consider the longer lasting (although more expensive) metal finishes on the kits, like titanium gold.

Aces-High

My wife owns an art gallery and part of the reason she wants me to get into this is that she wants pens for a mid-price-point item to offer. So, once I've developed some level of proficiency, I might be able to sell some things. My biggest concern, however, it that PSI seems to be so concentrated on weaponry these days. Revolvers and guns and tanks and bullets... Sort of not what I'm into, really. I hope that the market is bigger than that.

I am with you about the guns and bullets pens...

TonyL

This does answer your question in terms of kits, but this may help (rough estimates, but close:
60% of what I sell is in the $45 to $65. Mostly single barrel pens, maybe a double-barrel-without a CA finish
30% $66 to $85. Mostly double-barrels, or stainless steel, single barrel
10% > 85 Double -barrel, with TS, M3, hybrid blanks with CA finish

But most of what I sell is through word of mouth and I am not trying to make a living or even supplement my income selling pens. That makes my sales metrics less relative.

pshrynk

Pshrynk

Take a look at the offerings at Berea Hardwoods. And if you would be selling at an art gallery you might consider the longer lasting (although more expensive) metal finishes on the kits, like titanium gold.

That's sort of the thing that my brother has been showing my wife. He just likes making fancy bling and giving it to friends and family. Being the art entrepreneur, she was all over that in a flash. When he balked, she encouraged him to keep bugging me to get into the hobby. I guess we'll see if I have a talent, eh?

Top Bottom