What is xylay?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have seen and turned xylay, but I was curious as to what exactly it is that makes xylay? Is it the cut of the wood, abnormal growth of the wood, or what? I can't find anything on the internet and I am hoping that one of you folks can help me.
thanks,
Jay

Dario

I am not too sure but it is just like a curl but interlocking. The way I understood it is that it forms due to stress...whether that is right or wrong is up to discussion.

ahoiberg

jay,

this is only my assumption, certainly not substantiated, but here goes...

i think 'xylay' has some connection to the word 'xylem', which in case you weren't familiar, is one of two types of transport tissue in trees (the other being phloem). after seeing some afzelia xylay, you can see a distinct pattern that appears to be the xylem tissue making what looks like stripes or lines through the wood. i'm not sure where on the tree this wood is harvested, but something in the way the tree dies or is cut during water transport must leave these distinct markings...

just my 2 cents.

Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't have all the answers. I do remember xylem and phloem. My teacher used to tell me how to remember which one does what....xylem up, phloem down.... indicating the direction of travel that each "tube" was designed to carry nutrients, water, etc. I would be very interested to know if it is the xylem that gives it its distinctive look and also why I don't hear about other woods that have this developmental anomily. Sees the more knowldge I get, the more questions I have. ;-) Please let me know if you find anything else out or know of a website that might provide some more answers.
thanks,
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom